My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While they can vary by municipality, there are several laws and guidelines to follow while using your riding lawn mower. A common restriction for time usage prohibits mowing between 10pm and 7am. This lets your neighbors sleep peacefully and honestly, how good could your stripes be mowing your lawn by moonlight? It’s also illegal to operate lawn tractors on public roads, since they’re not licensed, and any typical traffic offense would result in additional fines and charges. More and more cities are also making it mandatory to cut your grass and keep it below a certain height. This varies from under 3in. all the way up to 12in! Just remember to exercise proper lawn etiquette and respect your neighbors and please, feel free to share any odd lawn care laws you've heard!

·
forkz
5,927 Posts
we had a lawn tractor accident here awhile back man was on the road got hit by a car trooper said he had as much right on the road as a bicycle guess that varies state to state

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
we had a lawn tractor accident here awhile back man was on the road got hit by a car trooper said he had as much right on the road as a bicycle guess that varies state to state
Yep. In my state, lawn tractors are classified as farm equipment and are allowed on roads (but not limited access highways) within a 6-mile radius of their operating base. They must display an SMV placard by day, and lights by night.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Here in NJ, enjoy your brew in the back yard ( 6' privacy fence) if Barney Fife see you out front, he can & most cases will charge you with; DWI/DUI , public intox, & disorderly persons charges ! This can also include any drinking & use of Any vehicle as in skate board, bicycle & scooters ! If barney sees you he can charge you of any violation that fits !

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
I live in a small rural/suburban town, population of about 14,000. I have mowed as early as 7am, and as late as 8pm. Never had an issue. I drive on the road all the time, with no SMV sign. Never had an issue. If a policeman stops me, I will politely explain where I am going and what I am doing. As long as you are courteous, there is no reason have "laws"

·
Super Moderator
15,398 Posts
A few years back I couldn't sleep on a Saturday night and was listening to the police scanner. A call came in from an irate citizen about 3:00 AM about what he said sounded like a lawn mower. Sure enough when the officer arrived on site he said a woman was mowing her lawn on a tractor. A few minutes later the officer said she is so drunk she can hardly stand up. She must have closed up the bar and decided to mow her lawn so she could sleep in the next day! She was told to stop mowing and was cited for disturbing the peace. No alcohol charges since she was on private property.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Two, three guys here drive their lawnmowers to town because they lost their driver's license.

Walt Conner
Here in nj that would additional time & fines for driving while suspended, this would be under the following conditions 1 ( barney is having a bad day & knows your suspended d.l.
2) you have left your property & crossed into local easement or neighbors property
This is because the way the laws/ ordinances are written mechanized / motorized vehicles this now covers every thing to generate $$$$

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys so much for the input! It's crazy how much the laws vary. Unless you do some super fine reading it seems that it's a case by case thing, depending on the mood Barney and Goober.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Well, at least we are not dealing with Boss Hogg & sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrain!:dunno:

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
I live in a small rural/suburban town, population of about 14,000. I have mowed as early as 7am, and as late as 8pm. Never had an issue. I drive on the road all the time, with no SMV sign. Never had an issue. If a policeman stops me, I will politely explain where I am going and what I am doing. As long as you are courteous, there is no reason have "laws"

I will second this. Not sure what town you in Hugh, I'm in a smallish town too as you know. I am close to the brush dump in our town and have made many a trip to it on the road with our little 310-8 both myself and 14yo Son. Have been given the right away by local police without issue.
I do wait until seven am before I fire up my chainsaw, tractor etc. I do live within a mile of a large dairy farm so I guess it's expected.
My neighbors probably are only concerned as I cut almost all the trees down in my yard.:fing32: Waaaaaaay to many BIG oaks for me. I want wide open green for mowing, I do not like obsticles to steer around!

MU

·
Registered
337 Posts
In this small town in nj we do what we want , with in reason , keeping it clean , & fun . A neighbors helping hand, or an unsanctioned parade , we watch out for each other , small towns are great !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts