My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Lawn Boy Gold Series . Model #10515 S.N. 3913965 I would first like to know how old it is. I bought it new, but it's been a while. I don't remember when. It is self propelled, rear wheel drive. The problem is this. When you release the lever and try to pull it backwards, the transmission is still somewhat engaged. Not enough to pull it forward, but enough to make it very hard to pull backward. I have checked the belt when the lever is released, and it is loose. What am I overlooking? I can't say for sure if the belt has ever been replaced, but I have always had it professionally serviced. I am retired now, and thought I might try to tackle this problem myself. Maybe that was a mistake.

·
LBAD Victim
965 Posts
I have a Lawn Boy Gold Series . Model #10515 S.N. 3913965 I would first like to know how old it is. I bought it new, but it's been a while. I don't remember when. It is self propelled, rear wheel drive. The problem is this. When you release the lever and try to pull it backwards, the transmission is still somewhat engaged. Not enough to pull it forward, but enough to make it very hard to pull backward. I have checked the belt when the lever is released, and it is loose. What am I overlooking? I can't say for sure if the belt has ever been replaced, but I have always had it professionally serviced. I am retired now, and thought I might try to tackle this problem myself. Maybe that was a mistake.
Try pushing it forward after you release the bail bar. Sometimes, the freewheel clutches take a minute to disengage.

·
5,303 Posts
I am not the guy to offer suggestions on this style of self propelled but from what I have read you may just need to disassemble the drive assemblies and clean them and reinstall. I have read that they get sticky when dirty. Don't know for sure, just passing along what I have read. Bill

If you do this, take pictures as you go and only do one side at a time.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to my small engine / lawn mower guy, and he told me the same thing about disassembly and cleaning. I took off one of the rear wheels. Wow I don't know if you have seen any of these taken apart, but what an engineering mess. ( IMHO) It doesn't make a lot of sense. There is a VERY strange key (square key) in the assembly that rocks back and forth to drive the wheel. I can see where grease,dirt, and grime would prevent it from working over time. I cleaned it up and reassembled it. I will do the other side tomorrow. It will either work or it won't. The mower is 26 years old, so I guess I got my moneys worth out of it. I only use it for trimming, as I have a tractor for mowing. My wife sometimes decides to mow the whole yard with the Lawn boy. She has way more energy than I do.

·
Lawn-Boy Nut
619 Posts
I agree that the rocking keys are kinda goofy, but they work. I've had mowers with this style engagement since 1999 and none of the parts ever wear out. You would think the plastic disc would, but they just don't. I pump grease in through the grease zerks once a year and disassemble and thoroughly clean every 5 years or so.

Lawnboy's previous style (earlier F Series) had spring loaded woodruff keys machined into the shaft ends. This seemed like a more HD way of doing it, however it requires more frequent cleaning & re-lubing (IMO).

Doug

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the other wheel apart and cleaned up. Mower now works like brand new. If you ever do this pay VERY close attention to how things come apart. As suggested earlier, do one side at a time. Thanks for your help.

·
5,303 Posts
That's great news. As you could tell after you got it apart it is kind of hard to remember how it all goes back together without pictures or the other side for reference. Glad it was something simple. Bill

·
2 strokes forever!
467 Posts
10515 is a great LB mower. One of my favorites. Glad you got it sorted out.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just did this maintenance on my 10515 last year. I took pictures as I removed each layer of the "mess" so I could get it all back together. A shot of grease twice a season usually helps out....otherwise I just shift back to neutral before rolling backwards long distances.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts