My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like it when people give me stuff like this because "it quit running".

I have not even cleaned it off yet and it fire right up and mowes nice.

The self propelled drive is kinda noisy, may need grease.

Has grease fittings on the wheels, but that's as far as i have investigated.

It even came with a full tank of gas. :fing32:

Attachments

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
That's a nice looking mower. Can you tell me the model number? That's about exactly what I'm looking for, one of those exact mowers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Model Number is:
S21BSN
Serial Number is:
H033B0174

I also have a Model-8243AE1 Serial-G105C0139

But it is rough, pull rope is broken, picked it up and parked it in the shed.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
dang..... given to ya...
talk bout steppin in cow pie smelling like a rose....

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
That's a 1989 with the 5 speed manual adjustable transmission. They DO require cleaning and service. The noise could likely be that the grease in the transmission is dried out. Nice that it's a BBC model, I've never put my hands on one, other than an M series. There's several things on those drives (as with most) that do need cleaning and re-lube to keep them working smoothly.

I never trust the fuel mix that the PO had in the tank. Never know if someone just dumped straight gas in it, not thinking, to be able to start it up to sell it. Of course yours was a freebie. But that's odd that he told you it didn't run and you get it home and it runs fine.

Nice find tho, No one ever just GIVES me a working LB! I was offered one for free but it was a steel deck that had been sitting outside for 10+ years, there was almost no deck left! The rest of it was trashed as well...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is my 3rd freebie LB.

The 4th is the other model i mentioned earlier.

So, it has 5 speeds? There is no speed selector, or were you talking about the second model number i listed?

I checked the fuel, it is mix, i know i shouldn't have trusted it.. But they had just filled it in prep to mow so i figured they wouldn't straight gas it on themselves, at least not on purpose.

·
Deceased, April 2015
190 Posts
The speeds are not selectable via the control panel. You need to split the drive pulleys (easy to do) and add or remove spacers (supplied) between the pulleys to adjust the forward speed.

It's very similar to my S21ZSR - my favorite LB of all that I own.

Charlie

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
5 speeds -and all of them way too fast for comm duty. i love mine as i built it entirely from spare parts i scrounged. too bad i cant use it. it also only cuts at 3 in max-too low for st aug. caution drive train parts a very expencive and some nla

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
To fast? Top speed, with all 4 spacers between pulley halves is only 3.2 mph @ 3200 rpm engine speed. Speed decreases by only .2 mph per spacer removed (placed on top of the pulley instead of between the halves).

I have seen a couple great breakdowns of those transmissions, if you ever need detailed instruction on service, dissassembly, and reassembly. I will look where I found it and give a link if you want. Don't have it on this computer...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts