My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally bought a set of LB seal changing tools and WOW what a difference. I can change a lower crank seal in under 10 minutes now. Before, I had to remove the blade and muffler, remove the engine from the deck, pick the seal out with a small screwdriver. Then lay the new seal in and tap it gently with a piece of PVC pipe and make sure it was even. Then replace the exhaust gasket and put everything back together. Now, only the muffler has to come off of D and F engines...V engines don't even need the muffler removed! I haven't tried a C yet. This tool is awesome. Slide it on the crank, give it a bop with a hammer and screw it into the gap between the crank and the seal. Then tighten the bolt down in the middle and it pulls the seal right out. The Installation tool is pretty cool as well and sets the seals at a certain depth so there's no more guesswork. Well worth what I paid. I just wish I could have found them sooner. How many of you guys have these tools? If you don't, you need to buy them if you can find them. I just wanted to pass on the good word about these tools and share my happiness.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mine are factory made by OTC with a Lawn Boy part number stamped in them. It could be fabbed up if you have a way to taper-thread the end of a piece of pipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Mine are factory made by OTC with a Lawn Boy part number stamped in them. It could be fabbed up if you have a way to taper-thread the end of a piece of pipe.
where did you get these? how much?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ebay. I happened to catch them right as the guy listed them and bought them after they were only listed for 17 minutes. They were $35 (Buy-It-Now) for the pair plus shipping, but to me, it's very much worth it if I can do a job in 90% less time. I'm sure they were a lot more than what I paid back when they were new.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Good find! I have the full tool kits for the D, F and M engines, but sadly the seal puller in my kit just doesn't work. I can't ever get it to bite hard enough onto the old seal to hold on when I start putting the torque on the bolt. The threads aren't the best... Heck I didn't even realize that the tool would allow the seal to be replaced with the engine on the deck, I guess I never tried since I always had the engine off anyway.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far, the only seals I have removed were the old, metal clad ones. I don't know if it will grab as well on the newer rubber seals, but I'll try it soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts