My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks but since I will be buying the transmission from you I would rather have someone else say that they know for sure cause they have done it.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
I've serviced a few M transmissions before and see no reason why any series of the M trans would fit any M deck. I believe all the Tuff Torq units were 3 speeds of the same case design/axle length, so with that, I would say yes. A swap will work.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Are you just swapping the transmission only or plan on doing the axles wheels etc? I think you have to use the 590/591 wheels and adjusters with that axle trans set up and visa versa.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you just swapping the transmission only or plan on doing the axles wheels etc? I think you have to use the 590/591 wheels and adjusters with that axle trans set up and visa versa.
I was just going to do the tranny, but that is why I asked you guys firsts. So you are saying the decks are the same but I have have to swap the entire rear wheel drive assembly?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I was just going to do the tranny, but that is why I asked you guys firsts. So you are saying the decks are the same but I have have to swap the entire rear wheel drive assembly?
Yes that's the way I remember it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The axle length and the machined ends are different, but everything *inside* of the transmission case (and the case itself) is the same.

The height adjusters, wheels, clutches, bracket that bolt onto the trans, etc. (basically every component from the axle out to the wheels) are also different.

If your M21 trans has crapped out, you can transplant a transmission from a 10590/1 into it without changing wheels, adjusters, brackets, etc. *if* you put the M21's drive axle in it first. (It's a PITA, just take your time and watch for a few ball bearings that like to drop out and go into hiding).

One can also put an M21's transmission into a 10590/1 if you put the 10590/1 axle into it and it will behave just like a 10590/1 should.

If you are wanting the get the "no pullback problems" of the 10590/1 (Toro design) into your M21, then you need to replace everything from the axle out to the wheels.

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks for all the help. this will make worlds of difference when i start the swap.
If you don't already have it downloaded, there is an M-series service manual that is available for download from the Lawn-Boy website. That manual has step by step instructions for disassembling the transmission. If you end up only swapping the axle, it takes a while to accomplish, but it isn't a show stopper. I have done the reverse of that before (swapped a 10591 axle into my original M21BMR transmission). Good luck getting yours repaired.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you don't already have it downloaded, there is an M-series service manual that is available for download from the Lawn-Boy website. That manual has step by step instructions for disassembling the transmission. If you end up only swapping the axle, it takes a while to accomplish, but it isn't a show stopper. I have done the reverse of that before (swapped a 10591 axle into my original M21BMR transmission). Good luck getting yours repaired.
I can do one better. I have an OEM hardcopy.

·
5,750 Posts
Post a thread in the For Sale/Wanted section with a list of what you are looking for. There may be guys with extra parts from these laying around just looking for a home. Good luck! Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts