My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Deceased April 2016
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I Picked up a 1981 Vintage John Deere commercial mower yesterday from a friend. It had an F-Series engine on it that was just Plain wore out. Being that I all ready Have Two John Deere Garden Tractor's being my 1969-Model-140 and my 1983 -Model-318 I decided to save the John Deere commercial mower, and add it to my Fleet. It is a Push style Mower but has a heavy Magnesium Lawn-Boy deck as well as steel Ball Bearing wheels, and an engine brake and handle bar mounted Primer as well as it's recoil starter rope. I found what I thought would make an excellent Donor Mower yesterday and Planned on using it's engine. It is a model 8071 and had a cool Canary yellow engine shroud as well as Yellow accent's on it's wheel, gauge top covers and handlebar. I pulled the engine today and was all ready to Place it on my Commercial John Deere when I noticed it's Piston seemed awfully close to the spark plug hole. I then discovered the worse as it had snapped a rod and buried it's piston in the head...:banghead3 I only gave $10.00 for the Mower, so I can salvage it's wheels gauge height adjusters, Top Canary colored engine shroud and the rear self Propelled drive off it which to me is well worth the Ten Bucks that I spent for it. I scrapped the idea of using it's power Plant and took the engine of my newly acquired Model 1040. All went well as it has the larger style combustion chamber and muffler like the John Deere has differing from other Lawn-Boys as the 1040 is commercial I suppose as the Deere is. I got it all back together and it started up on the first Pull and it run's fine. This left me with a problem though, as now I have a Mint 1040 frame, coil and Carb. but no engine. I visited my Lawn Mower Bone yard buddy this evening and Picked up an older Lawn-Boy Push Mower that has a good engine but needs a Carb. & Coil. That will not be a problem as I have the Carb. & coil off my 1040 as I used the ones off the John Deere Lawn-Boy engine when I transplanted the 1040 engine into it. So, Tomorrow I will Pull the F-series engine off the Push mower I got this evening and Transplant it on the deck of my 1040. I suppose I will have to use the Larger style combustion chamber and muffler when I place the Donor engine as these commercial Machines seem to have larger chamber's & Muffler's on them, as well as a Larger hole in the deck of the mower. It never seems to end, and this will give me Four Lawn Boy's to sell to other's that do not have one... Hammerdown

·
Deceased April 2016
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the John-Deere-Lawn-Boy...

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I guess it would be a "DEERE BOY" then?

Love it!

·
Deceased April 2016
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess it would be a "DEERE BOY" then?

Love it!
Hello Pocketraisins
Great Nick Name. How do you go that "Heavy duty looking Snorkel style air breather" ? I got this John Deere all in Pieces. it had it's Piston rings broken so I swapped the F-Engine it had with another Lawn-Boy F-Engine. I had to change the bottom exaust plate and muffler to bolt it up on this Deere Deck as it was the commercial style plate and Muffler. It run's with one pull and mow's good now... Hammerdown

·
LawnBoyMan
24 Posts
Why not, John-Boy or Lawn-Deere, lol.

Have you tried baking the bad coil?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts