My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old Lawn Boy L21Z push mower has been leaking gas for a good while now, getting worse. Probably some danger there but mainly just makes a mess oiling up the deck. Sent email to Toro and they confirmed it was subject to the recall. They told me to take it to the local Lawn Boy dealer and it would be replaced, no charge. Local Lawn Boy dealer closed shop about 20 years ago, not sure if there is a Toro serviceing dealer either. Anyone know anything on this deal. Sure like to get it replaced, or fix it somehow if possible. Thanks. Tom

·
Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,685 Posts
Not sure where you are located but any Toro dealer should be able to get this handled for you. If there are none close perhaps Toro would at least send you the tank. Should be very simple to swap out. Bill

·
6,685 Posts
That is a great link. Found all the major and minor servicers in my area.
On a side note what are the chances the fuel tank is still available after all these years? Bill
683256 is what I think to be the part number. Shows NLA on Lawnboy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Emailed Toro a while back, they gave me the name of a nearby dealer. I just called them and they were really pretty helpful, they called the company and actually called me back, but, as you guys suspected, the tank is no longer available. I've read that there is no expiration on safety recalls like this but I guess it's on to plan B. Now to come up with a plan B. I do see these tanks available for some over $200. That's not in my budget for sure. Thanks for the replies!

·
6,685 Posts
Maybe you can find a different shroud that will fit if you have the correct baffle plate. Bill
Plan B. Look at model 5253. Takes the same shroud base, flywheel, and screen as yours. I have a good tank from a 5253 which in my opinion should work with the addition of the black ring. Check it out and see what you think.

Also look at 684414 on eBay. That shroud would just need a hole for the primer base.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found that cover/tank on Ebay, NOS for very reasonable price, ordered it. It's the one without the primer button hole but I've never used that anyway. Hit the choke, two pulls, and it's usually running. Pretty neat to find this stuff on Ebay after all these years too. And seeing knockoff Lawn Boy carbs now on there for $20 or so.

·
6,685 Posts
Well great that you found one for a good price. Lots of stuff eventually shows up on eBay. Just have to keep looking. I know those Duraforce carbs (Chinese knock offs) are out there cheap as are coils. The reliability of the coils has been discussed. Not sure about the carbs. I have not seen aftermarket carbs for the F series yet. Bill

Reactions: Lawnboy77

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,366 Posts
Found that cover/tank on Ebay, NOS for very reasonable price, ordered it. It's the one without the primer button hole but I've never used that anyway. Hit the choke, two pulls, and it's usually running. Pretty neat to find this stuff on Ebay after all these years too. And seeing knockoff Lawn Boy carbs now on there for $20 or so.
Glad you found one for a decent price. I had one on my 1993 model 10420 spring a leak a few years ago and I wasn't as lucky, but did find a new one for around a 100 bucks (Yikes!). I think what leads to leaks in those tanks are the way that Lawnboy suggest storing them. The manual says to fold the handle over on to the deck, but really what it does is rest on the tank and those handles on those models are fairly heavy and the plastic will tend to crack over time with that kind of stress. When I fold one over for storage now I place a wood block between the deck and handle so as not put any stress on the plastic tank.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Very Nice - looks like a new one! My neighbor has been using my L21ZSNA for the last three years It was my very first Lawn Boy back in 2016. It lost compression all of a sudden, last week. I found that a small star washer went through the cylinder and ruined the piston etc. Thirty-three years is a pretty good run and I'm sure yours will do as well or better.

·
6,685 Posts
That mower looks awesome. Almost like mowing with a new one. Just don't run it under any bushes and it will stay nice a long time. Bill

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,366 Posts
Looks fantastic! I was confused earlier when you mentioned an L21Z mower. I thought those tank/shrouds were the same as my 1993 model 10420, now I understand what you were talking about when you mentioned the primer hole.

·
Lawn-Boy Nut
732 Posts
I had a 1986 7035 that I overhauled back in 2007 that had that same shroud but WITH the primer hole. I always thought this shroud was only used on the cheaper steel deck models, but yours proves me wrong there !!

Here is a picture as a comparison ...

Doug

Mower Motor vehicle Rolling Wheel Grass

·
Lawn-Boy Nut
732 Posts
Also did not realize L-B built any ALUMINUM deck mowers with the PAINTED handle set, thought this was another cost cutting STEEL deck only thing.

BTW, forgot to say ... mower looks awesome !!

Doug

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,366 Posts
Also did not realize L-B built any ALUMINUM deck mowers with the PAINTED handle set, thought this was another cost cutting STEEL deck only thing.

BTW, forgot to say ... mower looks awesome !!

Doug
Yes I think you are correct, I think someone put a L21Z decal on that cast aluminum deck. The cast aluminum decks are S21Zs. Not a bad upgrade though for a basic utility model.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts