My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son approached me a month or so ago wanting to start mowing yards. I was so impressed...this 5th grader sat me down and laid out a business plan and asked me for a loan to buy the mower. I told him if he would be patient I would give him my older Lawn-boy, after I gave it a once over and made sure both it was safe and he behaved safely with it around our yard...

So, I got the old mower out and now remember why I quit using it. The motor runs perfectly...the deck is shot (not too bad but a few holes by the chute). I will not let him use a rusted out deck. I went to the local mower graveyard and picked up a $25 magnesium deck and D-600 combination. I was initially hoping they would just match right up...however, the F-engine would not sit on there.

I was contacted by a person who seemed interested in trading my two mowers (and some parts from a DuraForce I had sitting around) for a functioning F-series mower. After making the trip out, he didn't like what I brought so we made a different trade...basically my non-working D and magnesium deck for an F (with bad seals) and stamped steel deck.

After I get this all home and start to clean it up, I notice someone has filled a couple holes (by the grass chute) with something and painted over them. Not sure if it is bondo, JB weld, or what. It is on there strong (I can't get it out...tried hammer, torch, etc...it is still there).

Anyway, my questions. The "new" deck doesn't have the openings for the auto drive stuff. He doesn't NEED it but would like it if we can do it. Is it possible to convert a non-drive deck into a drive deck?

Is it safe/possible to repair the rusted deck?

If I decide to scrap all this and just get a good deck...where do I get one???

Thanks

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
I've got a few decks here... and complete mowers (about 60 or so of them). Let me know what you want, model number wise.

:MTF_wel2: :MTF_wel:

·
Administrator
21,221 Posts
Greetings, twmattox. Glad you found us and jumped in. You'll enjoy working your Lawnboys. Good deal on your son getting interested in mowing yards, too.

Enjoy your visits.

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
I wouldn't put any time and effort into a steel deck. They are not worth it.

I have a few cast decks here and I'm sure a few other people on here will chime in as well. Get him an older pre-compliance mower with a cast deck and D or F engine and he'll do just fine. That's what I started mowing lawns with back in the early 90's.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum, nice way to get the kid addicted to lawnboys, start him off with one :ROF Anyways, I think you may want to find an aluminum self propelled deck as I don't think you could make one into a self propelled deck from a push deck, It maybe possible, but not worth the time or money to you.

·
Lawnboy Green
633 Posts
Hi TW,
Welcome to MTF. Good to hear about your young man with ambition.

The steel deck lawnboy uses a different 'muffler plate' and 'muffler cover' than an aluminum deck lawnboy. Your engine will fit either deck, as long as you have the correct attach parts. I think you will be able to tell the plates apart by size. The steel deck parts are smaller in diameter.

FWIW, the steel decks are very popular in this area. I believe the reason is the weight. As for the self propel systems, there are two, belt drive and capstan drive. There are also different gear boxes, and speeds depending upon the application and when made. I would think that you could adapt one entire system from one unit to another as long as you have all the pieces.

The capstan drive sometimes referred to as a gear drive system uses a separate gear and worm drive that is part of a D or F engine crank. In addition, the handle braces are longer and have holes in them to accommodate the capstan shafts that turn the wheels. On the other hand the belt drive models use only an added pulley to the crank.

I would try to stay with one engine like the F engine and use what you have. JB Weld or even snow white will repair a steel deck that has rust holes near the chute. If the deck is cracked near the engine mounting holes, I would look for a replacement because vibration may cause an unwelded repair to fail.

I cant remember if a D600 engine ever came on a steel deck, but dont believe so. I have a D400 and an F engine on a steel deck so can say they were made. The other thing that you need to keep in mind is that Lawnboy was sold to Toro in or around 1986. Because of this, the designs changed in certain aspects to prevent older parts from being used for new model repairs. Try to stay within the series that you have to prevent frustration while looking for parts or buy a couple more units that are all within the same series. This way you can teach your Son about engine rebuilding and how an engine works.

Best wishes,
Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcome... I greatly enjoy fourms like this one (I have some Jeeps and am involved with their forums too)...

I am fairly familiar with Lawn-Boys (have had a number of them over the years). Currently, I have a V that I matched up to an E body. Made a few modifications to the V and love it.

I think my son will keep with the F engine for now. If I follow it correctly, it is the capstan drive system. I think he prefers the steel deck (as it feels lighter to him). Right now we are not 100% certain how we will proceed; either keep the manual push deck or purchase a different deck. I will have to talk it over with him for a while...

Thanks again.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks for the welcome... I greatly enjoy fourms like this one (I have some Jeeps and am involved with their forums too)...

I am fairly familiar with Lawn-Boys (have had a number of them over the years). Currently, I have a V that I matched up to an E body. Made a few modifications to the V and love it.

I think my son will keep with the F engine for now. If I follow it correctly, it is the capstan drive system. I think he prefers the steel deck (as it feels lighter to him). Right now we are not 100% certain how we will proceed; either keep the manual push deck or purchase a different deck. I will have to talk it over with him for a while...

Thanks again.
Hmmm...Do I sense a pattern here? Jeep guys and Lawn-Boys! Both are brands that have a loyalty and following that almost borders on insanity!
I'm a Jeep owner/nut myself, having owned 7 of them thus far. I'm on JeepsUnlimited forums under the same username. I'm driving a 2004 WJ (Grand Cherokee) right now, and it's great.

My first Lawn-Boy was a '75 model 7264 and I loved it.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Hmmm...Do I sense a pattern here? Jeep guys and Lawn-Boys! Both are brands that have a loyalty and following that almost borders on insanity!
I'm a Jeep owner/nut myself, having owned 7 of them thus far. I'm on JeepsUnlimited forums under the same username. I'm driving a 2004 WJ (Grand Cherokee) right now, and it's great.

same as my addiction to Neons. I've got two, let the girlfrind have the 3rd when she moved out, and have had 8 alltogether since buying my first one new in 1997.

There are many like me.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Since you're in Canada, they're Chrysler Neons, not Dodge or Plymouth, right? (or should I say "eh?") :)
I visited Windsor, ON a few years ago, and one of the things I had to do was to take a stroll thru a Chrysler dealership and pop some pics of the "oddball" Chrysler Neon, Intrepid, etc. that are labeled as a Dodge here.
I always remembered that from when my parents had an old C-band satellite dish and I could pick up CBC television, and from the dealership I worked for that used to get a few Canadian vehicles in from time to time. I sold a few Chrysler Intrepids (wierd package...the AutoStick tranny could be behind a 2.7L engine. Not available that way here) and a few Jeep TJs. They were called a TJ in Canada instead of a Wrangler like they are here. They all had daytime running lamps too, which thru a little research, I figured out how to enable on the US-spec models.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts

Funny.. I drive an 03 WJ. Also a member on that forum, same user name as here.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi TW,
The other thing that you need to keep in mind is that Lawnboy was sold to Toro in or around 1986.
I think it was later than that. Mid-1990s or thereabouts. The M series came out in '89 and that was all OMC. If memory serves me correctly, it wasn't till about '94 or so that I remember seeing "Toro Corporation" on the model tags of Lawn-Boys. That was also the introduction of the V engine, and DuraForce engine notwithstanding, the beginning of the end of Lawn-Boy.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Sounds right to me, my S21ZPM is a toro owned lawnboy and it was made in 1990.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Small world... I am on JU too. I have too many Jeeps (hope my wife doesn't read this). I have an old Grand Wagoneer, Scrambler, and my wife has her '04 WJ.

Regarding Lawn-Boys, we have decided to keep the F engine. I took one engine completely apart (had bad seals and some other issues). Decided to keep the coil carburetor and a few other parts (just in case). The rest of that motor is trash... Took the decks apart and both are rusted through in the same areas (right front wheel). To "limp" by this year, I think my son will take them to a local welder and see what he would charge to repair one.

Ultimately, he would like one of the mag or alum decks. Do either have self propel? How much would a deck cost? What about shipping?

Thanks again for all your help...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have told him he had to mow my yard this year (practice) before he can start his business...so, he is using my mower...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts