My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first bricktop . It's a lawn boy 7024 . I'm going to give a compression test and would like to know how much compression these old bricktops should have ?

·
Registered
463 Posts
For accurate readings when checking compression on a small two stroke like a Lawn Boy, find a compression gauge that has a Schrader valve (tire valve) right in the end that screws into the spark plug hole.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mines not a brick tops but my;

F - 130psi.
D409 - 60psi (ring gap was .075 - both rings) just bought used :sidelaugh

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,104 Posts

F - 130psi.
That is outstanding compression for ring end gaps of .075 on your D series, I think you may need a .030 over piston for that cylinder. LOL I have a few worn out cylinders that I woud like to do that with...but I only have one .030 over piston though.

Your F series has outstanding compression to, about 125 psi. is the best I have seen from any of mine.

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,104 Posts

F - 130psi.
I assumed that the ring end gap was checked with new rings, but I think you were checking with the old rings, so yeah with new rings that compression should be great.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I assumed that the ring end gap was checked with new rings, but I think you were checking with the old rings, so yeah with new rings that compression should be great.
I didn't check the 'F's' ring end gap, the compression was so good I didn't open it up - just cut the lawn with it. This one was a garbage day find..

The D409 I just bought and it wouldn't start even with gas in the plug hole so I dug out the compression tester. The farther I dug in the worse it got until I measured the massive ring gap then I started laughing :sidelaugh I'm waiting till Tuesday for my new rings to arrive, then I'll test again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts