My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It did it when I first brought the machine home, but stopped after the first time I cut with it. Fired it up again today to trim the neighbor's house and it's leaking again when I shut it off. This particular model has no fuel shut-off, would adding one be the way to go?

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
What model do u have?, as far as I know all brick tops have shut-offs. An in line shut-off might work, but a new needle and seat might solve the problem also.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
:ditto: Sounds like the needle isn't sealing against the seat so the carburetor overflows. It usually comes out the bowl vent at the top of the carb.

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,085 Posts
Yeah all bricktops should have a fuel shutoff valve. From the late 50's to the early 80's. I suppose someone might of bypassed the valve on yours, not sure why anyone would want to though.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
Add an inline shutoff then run it till it dies. Turn on the fuel and see if it still leaks though the carb. Sometimes the needle gets jammed and won't stop the fuel. Try that before getting a new needle and seat.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I'll try it! I've had 3 of these model Lawn Boys and none of them have had a fuel shut-off. (4531)

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,085 Posts
Okay, I'll try it! I've had 3 of these model Lawn Boys and none of them have had a fuel shut-off. (4531)
Yeah must be a Canadian only model, I punched 4531 in to the Partstree site and got only that it was produced in 1980, but no parts listing available. Looked in the quick reference chart at the Lawnboy site and they don't even show that model. Can you post a pic of that mower?

EDIT: That mower must be that 20 inch steel deck brick that you posted a pic of on another thread. If it is disregard the request for a pic. That's a nice mower by the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts