My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,320 Posts
I have heard of clear fingernail polish working as well. Just be careful if/when you try to remove and install as the new holes will be very close to the old. If I didn't have the model plane stuff I would dab a little drop of the fingernail polish in the old holes and re install the hinge. Bill

Reactions: Lawn boy 2006

·
6,320 Posts
Perfect!!! That's using your head. Good job! Bill

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Thanks! Can't wait for this primer and carb kit to get here. And the auction for my grandpa's estate is this weekend, I'm gonna go try to get the remaining lawn boys. Still kicking myself for not grabbing them.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Haha frankly if it weren't for seeing the Taryl fixes all video I might not have gotten any of them. I got this one down off the loft because it was the lightest one and I didn't have any help. Then later my brother and nephew came back with me and I could have had them help with the others but I felt like I'd already taken enough stuff I guess.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
New carb kit, new primer assy, new spark plug even, no change.

But, I just happened to catch something while it was running and stumbling from what seems so much like fuel starvation- the coil has a visible external arcing when it's bogging down. Surely this isn't normal:

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
That doesn't seem normal to me.

Ignition Coil replaces Lawnboy 678539 | eBay

I bought 2 of these from another seller awhile back, picture doesn't show the windings but they were complete. This might be your best bet.

Reactions: evsnova74

·
6,320 Posts
Well that is one I haven't seen before. Apparently just enough degrading of the windings to arc partially. Good eye!! Bill

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,261 Posts
Yeah good catch! I think those coil issues are common for those real oldies. The most common arcing that I’ve noticed happens where the plug wire enters the coil. It was so bad on my 1966 model that the center contact was completely gone from what appeared to be arcing.

·
6,320 Posts
Looking back at one of your first videos where you pull started the mower I wish I had listened closer to the missing. Listening to it now the intermittent coil makes sense. Bill

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Good deal. It seems weird that the picture for that coil doesn't show the laminated legs or whatever they're called. You can't disassemble a coil can you?

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I think another member on here did once before at some point, I'd have to find the post he made on it but I'm pretty sure it's possible.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
Hey sounds great! Your patience and determination really paid off. Time to put that little 5237 to work.
Thanks, it's a good feeling. Just mowed a little bit ago in fact. Now I'm starting in on the 8290, seems like much more of an optioned out model. Already had spark so I might have it running tonight.

Edit: I did get it running

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
I bought one of those coils linked previously, runs great. But I mowed tonight and it sure seemed excessively smokey. Is my gas/oil mixture too rich or is the carb set too rich? Or could it be something I'm not aware of?

·
Lawn-Boys and VW's
1,853 Posts
I have not looked at every post on this , but make sure the lower crank seal is holding and not leaking. That will screw up fuel mixture, lean it out. Can make it run warm too.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts