My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
32:1 is best
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old F series on this deck was to badly damaged to repair plus it was missing many parts so i purchased a engine new old stock for 150 shipped. It is a Tecumseh TVXL840 made in 1988 and has the lawn boy tapered shaft. I only received it in the mail this morning and got it put it together after filling it with some break in fuel mixed at 24:1 i primed it 5 times and it fired first pull. I plan to run 3-4 tanks then switch it to 32:1 i am currently using echo red armor oil which is really good oil but expensive.

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the shaft on the engine i suppose it was made to be exclusively used on lawn boys? I know i heard of these engine coming with a bracket to fit the lawn boy engine only decks.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Excellent job, Jake! I was watching your video clip again. Here it is for the others to see. That Tecumseh is an animal!

L8R,
Matt

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
the Tecumseh is actually more powerfull than the lawnboy engine. where did you find this nos engine?not sure I would use red armour as break in oil. its desighned to clean and remove deposits which a new engine dosnt have yet

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the Tecumseh is actually more powerful than the lawn boy engine. where did you find this nos engine?not sure I would use red armor as break in oil. its designed to clean and remove deposits which a new engine doesn't have yet
Found it on a vintage Tecumseh group on Facebook the engine came out of a small engine shop in Kenosha Wisconsin. I do have to replace one item which is the fuel line it leaks some when it is not running i suppose setting around it must have gotten a little hard and has a small crack.
That is the only oil i had at the time i will actually be using Pennzoil outdoor or XLF. since lawn boy oil is gone in my area.

·
5,402 Posts
Very nice job of combining the new engine with the Lawnboy deck. Looks like it powers through that long grass with ease. Bill

·
LBAD Victim
975 Posts
I recall reading somewhere that after the F engine stopped, they used Tecumseh as "warranty replacement" engines, so that may have been where that comes from.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I might enjoy that Tecumseh fb group as I have several of these 840tvsxl engines and a few other Tecumseh engines still running.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts