My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have so much crank play the flywheel is hitting the engine, I was thinking of adding the thrust bearing and washer. The picture looks to me that the washer is against the crank & the thrust bearing is riding on the lower crank baring. I would have though the thrust bearing would need a machined surface to spin on. My Lawn-Boy 1994 Gold Series Model 10515 Serial 4905787 never had the thrust washer & bearing.
On my bench with case open I can slide the crankshaft almost 1/4" then the flywheel hits. No internal wear on the crank case.
What is worn to allow that much movement?

I haven't removed the piston & crank to see, I just lifted up the crank to replace the crank bearings and seals, it was then I discovered the flywheel hitting. (I should have checked first). I was given this mower in not running condition. Please advise. Thank You

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,337 Posts
The crankcase inside where the crank throw rubs is where the wear takes place. The steel crank bores down on the soft aluminum crankcase. The thrust bearing upgrade is a good idea if the mower has quite a bit of life left over. You may need to have the inside of the crankcase machined to accept that bearing and washer.
Edit: from memory only here, but if I remember correctly, it’s actually the crankcase cover that receives the wear.

·
Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,619 Posts
I think there was someone on here who installed the thrust washer only as there wasn't a lot of wear. Bill

Reactions: Lawnboy77
1 - 3 of 3 Posts