My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was using a Lawn-Boy walk-behind mower I inherited from my dad years ago and thought nothing was special about it. It was red white and blue with different decals on it and I guessed it was because it was from 1976. I got a new mower last year (Toro) and put the old '76 mower way back under a bunch of stuff that always accumulates in my garage. I was cleaning everything out last week and was sending this mower along with an old green Lawn-Boy that I used for parts off to be recycled.

But that's when I discovered a story on some forum somewhere (not here) talking about the 1976 Lawn-Boy Liberty model as "the holy grail' of lawn mower collectors. Wha? Apparently there were only 200 of these models made and each dealer could get only one to sell, so supposedly they are very rare and highly prized by collectors. Really? Well I have decided not to just recycle this one yet, but is it a valuable mower?

I have always kept it running but the exterior is pretty rough because, well it's just a regular mower and it gets scratched and the paint fades over the 40 plus years it was used.

So my question... is this thing really valuable, and would a forum member want it for 25 bucks or so? I live in the Milwaukee area so I think it would be easier if I didn't try to ship this thing. If someone is interested, I'll take some bpcs and try to figure how to post them on this site.

Any interest or comments?

fatjack

·
Registered
295 Posts
Re: Lawn-Boy 1976 Liberty model...

That's tempting me,especially since I live just south of Milwaukee.I've quite a few projects already.But I have to resist...at least till after the Holidays if still available.But what ever you do,DON'T scrap it!

·
5,298 Posts

Agreed!! Don't scrap it. Someone will love to have it. These can be restored. The biggest issue is whether all the correct parts as well as the correct white chute, white roller covers, white air filter cover, white side discharge plate, are all there. An original Liberty side bag would be a bonus. I am very fortunate to have received a complete, running Liberty mower with all the correct items including a NOS never used side bag. Also recently found a NOS Liberty owners manual on eBay and Brad has posted it in the Lawnboy reference library in case someone wants to print off a copy. In rough condition but running this could bring $100.00 and in really nice shape with all the correct "stuff" I would venture a guess that one could bring $600.00 to $800.00. Heck the side bag alone (NOS) would probably bring over $100.00 plus on eBay. Bill

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well alright gentlemen, thanks for your replies. I definitely will not SCRAP it now that I know its history and potential value. But I must admit this mower does need some work even though it was running when I stopped using it a year ago. As for original parts: all is original except the bag which had disintegrated years ago and I got a regular green printed Lawn Boy bag that fit it. I've had to replace one roller cover with a green one from that parts mower I had, but painted it white so it looked OK. And I also replaced the original black rubber flap under the back with a green one from same mower but painted it black. The air filter cover, white discharge chute and cover plate are all here. It's not ready for museum display or anything, but it should clean up enough to be presentable. And last I knew, it still ran!

I'm in no hurry to get rid of it or anything so it will probably still be here after the holidays, RfWi. Get in touch if you're still interested in a few weeks. I'm at [email protected].

Happy Holidays to all.

fj

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

While I'm not planning to restore this mower, I thought I'd see if it were possible to get replica decals in case someone was going to restore it. I emailed the folks at Graveyard Mowerz to see if they had any and just now got a reply:

Graveyard Mowerz replied to your message:
Hi Jack, Thanks for inquiring, but at this time we do not have the "Liberty" decals. We will have them in the near future so please check back or we can let you know when they become available. It has taken us awhile to acquire a "Liberty" mower that has clean decals for duplication. Thank you.

That seems encouraging, both in the hope that they will duplicate the decals, and in confirming that this must actually be a pretty rare model.

I'll keep everyone updated as we go.

fj

·
5,298 Posts
I do remember reading one of the older threads on the Liberty mower and one of the members had already had someone create the decal set for the Liberty. If I can find that info I will update here. Otherwise it is good to know that GYM is working on this. Bill

Okay post number 9 in this thread references a new set of Liberty decals. Member hasn't posted since June of 2016 but you could try sending a PM. Let us know if they respond and if they still have the decals available and the price.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/155-walk-behind-mowers/291785-how-many-members-have-lawn-boy-liberty.html

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
Lol, I drove from Houston to Dallas for a basket case liberty that has pretty much no salvageable parts but the serial number plate.
Glad to hear your not scraping it.
Lee

·
Registered
295 Posts
This Liberty has a new owner...it's me!!
All the parts are there.Minus the original bag.Does have a few green parts.After a bit of a clean-up I started it up and it runs good.

Attachments

·
5,298 Posts
That's a great find. That shroud has the recessed area around the filler cap so from past threads I am guessing this is a later production model, the older ones having a flat top shroud like the 5273 suitcase model. Does the electric start work. If you need a link to the battery I used for mine let me know. It was from Batteries and Bulbs and is a AGM (absorbable glass mat) type battery. Fit right in and I used a piece of styrofoam block for a spacer. Also don't forget that the owners manual is available for download in the Walk Behind Reference Library. I would clean it all up and enjoy using it. I have been using mine on my neighbors yard next door. Keep us posted on any progress. Also the two white shroud models I have were badly discolored around the tank but using some different stuff like Soft Scrub and Scotch Brite or bleach, I was able to eliminate most of it. Bill

Attached a picture of mine showing the side bag.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't know if the starter works.It wasn't attached properly so I took it off.I need to clean up the gear assembly and put it back together.I have a couple projects ahead of this so I'm not sure how far I want to go with this yet.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I do remember reading one of the older threads on the Liberty mower and one of the members had already had someone create the decal set for the Liberty. If I can find that info I will update here. Otherwise it is good to know that GYM is working on this. Bill

Okay post number 9 in this thread references a new set of Liberty decals. Member hasn't posted since June of 2016 but you could try sending a PM. Let us know if they respond and if they still have the decals available and the price.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/155-walk-behind-mowers/291785-how-many-members-have-lawn-boy-liberty.html
I sent member a PM in March but didn't receive a response,looks like hasn't logged in since 12/17.Anyway,a few days ago I e-mailed GYM inquiring about a decal for my 1013 edger,also asked if he had any luck with the Liberty decals.Turns out he just got them and they are now posted on web site!!
16 piece set!!Now I just need to sell off some stuff...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was using a Lawn-Boy walk-behind mower I inherited from my dad years ago and thought nothing was special about it. It was red white and blue with different decals on it and I guessed it was because it was from 1976. I got a new mower last year (Toro) and put the old '76 mower way back under a bunch of stuff that always accumulates in my garage. I was cleaning everything out last week and was sending this mower along with an old green Lawn-Boy that I used for parts off to be recycled.

But that's when I discovered a story on some forum somewhere (not here) talking about the 1976 Lawn-Boy Liberty model as "the holy grail' of lawn mower collectors. Wha? Apparently there were only 200 of these models made and each dealer could get only one to sell, so supposedly they are very rare and highly prized by collectors. Really? Well I have decided not to just recycle this one yet, but is it a valuable mower?

I have always kept it running but the exterior is pretty rough because, well it's just a regular mower and it gets scratched and the paint fades over the 40 plus years it was used.

So my question... is this thing really valuable, and would a forum member want it for 25 bucks or so? I live in the Milwaukee area so I think it would be easier if I didn't try to ship this thing. If someone is interested, I'll take some bpcs and try to figure how to post them on this site.

Any interest or comments?

fatjack
Hi fatback, I'd love to give that Liberty a new lease on life, one problem, I'm in Texas, so I know you didn't want to ship it but would you consider it if I paid shipping and something for your trouble? I understand if not but Please dont scrap that mower!

·
5,298 Posts
Hey Johnboy1971! Pretty sure if you read up a few posts you will see that RfWi ended up with the Liberty. Welcome to the forum by the way. Bill

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hello and welcome Johnboy 1971! Yes I am the owner of this Liberty.What a coincidence you've found this posting because I've just started disassembly of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts