My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys & gals. I just got this and am already not looking forward to fixing it. Self propel is inop. It drags the rear wheels and has a ton of slop in the wheels. I'm assuming they are just not tightened down but am not sure. I assume all I'm going to need with the trans is replace the worm gear? Anybody have any input on this?

-Dave

Attachments

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
Hey guys & gals. I just got this and am already not looking forward to fixing it. Self propel is inop. It drags the rear wheels and has a ton of slop in the wheels. I'm assuming they are just not tightened down but am not sure. I assume all I'm going to need with the trans is replace the worm gear? Anybody have any input on this?

-Dave
I wonder if you can ditch that worthless tranny in that and retrofit one of the newer single speed trannys?? Nice thought huh?....

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if you can ditch that worthless tranny in that and retrofit one of the newer single speed trannys?? Nice thought huh?....
I have a spare single speed from a 10323 sitting around. Maybe I'll eyeball it up. Doubtful that I'll do it but thanks for the suggestion. I'm hoping to find one on ebay and I'll probably use this machine so little that it's premature failure will not factor in.

-dave

·
Lawnboy Green
633 Posts
Hi Guys,
You may find the problem is at the wheels and not in the trans. Have you taken it apart to see?

Best wishes,
Bob

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If i were you i would grease the wheels and axel. My M did the same thing the SP was very very slow if moving at all and i greased it up nice and good and it does fine now.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Someone on ebay had a couple new trannys for sale not to long ago.. nice mower imo

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input. I will check out the wheels when I get it home as it is still at my father's house. I can't find any tools that I need at his place.

-Dave

·
Registered
656 Posts
Does it run? Not a nightmare......nice units..... you know I've got parts....:trink39:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it runs, but the prior owner has the airvane bent up so it's running wide open. I wasn't in the mood to monkey with it last night so I just added it to the list of junk for him to deliver next time he visits.

-Dave

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Doesn't help you much now... but there was 4 or 5 of those transmissions on ebay listed for $30-40 brand new a few weeks back. Keep looking, you'll find one.

BTW, if I had one that worked I'd give it to you. I have a S21BSR with a tranny / wheels that is exactly like you're saying.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
that one speed trans is useless for real world comm mowing. back wheels have plastic gears! lawnboy didnt get the comm mower rite in sp till they sold out to toro

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that one speed trans is useless for real world comm mowing. back wheels have plastic gears! lawnboy didnt get the comm mower rite in sp till they sold out to toro
I would never attempt to use this one commercially. The only reason I bought it is because of it's rarity. I intend on getting it operational and using it maybe a handful of times each year.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Doesn't help you much now... but there was 4 or 5 of those transmissions on ebay listed for $30-40 brand new a few weeks back. Keep looking, you'll find one.

BTW, if I had one that worked I'd give it to you. I have a S21BSR with a tranny / wheels that is exactly like you're saying.
I'm looking so keep your eyes open if you can. I may have sold you one in that lot of parts. Not sure...

-dave

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave, get me the part number and I'll check. If I have it, I have no use for it.

Thanks. If I knew it, I'd tell you. I tried looking on lb.com and they only have the trans part #'s piece by piece. I also checked with an ebay seller with two similar appearing transmissions and they are not responding. I'd take a look at the one I have, but it's still in Appleton.

-Dave

·
Lawnboy Green
633 Posts
>>that one speed trans is useless for real world comm mowing. back wheels have plastic gears! lawnboy didnt get the comm mower rite in sp till they sold out to toro<<

Fwiw, the 10650 is made by Toro. Your saying the original capstan drive self propel system is no good for commercial mowing?

Thanks,
Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts