My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this and had to get it for my dad. He's got it mounted under one of his Gravelys right now and that's what it was under before we got it. My question is does anyone have an idea what it was originally under? I know it is not the Gravely grader blade. These are the only pictures I have right now...

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's had a piece of a Gravely mower mount bolted to the front to allow hooking to the Gravely mounts. I'd gladly swap it for a Gravely mid mount grader. Other than that I don't think dad is going to turn it loose!

·
Registered
426 Posts
The Gravely mid mount grader blade is 48 inches wide.

We did find that for the mid mount blade to be effective, you need to operate it on a tractor with hydraulics so that you can apply down pressure. Running the blade on a manual lift tractor doesn't work very well.

How does your Dad handle it on his manual lift tractor?

Below is a Joe hard at work with one.

Tom

Attachments

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tom-

Dad just got it together last night and made a pass or two up his drive way. If you look the front it a bit high and looking at Simplicity literature (now that I know what it is.. ) it needs to be lower as it hops a bit. [This gave me something to harass him about a little bit ago as he did not agree with me last night when I told him it needed to be lower!] It will be a week or two before I get over there to play with it first hand.

I really need to find a Gravely blade as it seems to fit the tractor better. Did Joe allow any more photos of him utilizing the mid blade by chance?

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should also mention that an 816 with CCKA is in the works and I also have an 816S with hydraulics. More than likely that's where it will end up. Also another reason to put hydraulics back on my 8182-T --> 8183-T

·
Registered
261 Posts
That sure is a neat looking blade and real simple to make . I may use the basic Idea to make one for my 816 and also make one for my son's Ariens S-10G. Thanks for the cool picture. I have a few big cutting edges kicking around that will work great.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Did Joe allow any more photos of him utilizing the mid blade by chance?
I only have one other picture handy. I know I have several other pictures of the blade in operation, but they are MIA somewhere on my hard drive.

These pictures are from the clean up of a little ditch work in the backyard.

Tom

Attachments

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the pictures. I am still looking for a mid mount blade to help dad with his 450' of gravel drive. It is a simple design, as most of the mid mount blades are. I have a good supply of 6' cutting edges and dozer cutting edges as I work in site work. I have a water heater I'm holding right now to cut the tank apart, grader cutting edge, etc to make my own design mid mount blade. If you look closely at the Simplicity blade on the Gravely, the pull frame is angled up which isn't how it should be. I may still play around with making my own just for the fun of making it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.