My Tractor Forum banner

981 - 991 of 991 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yes, I saw that too. I also see lots of folks offering to have smaller get-together's instead. I think I'll pay attention to those and pick one...preferably when it's cooler!

·
Premium Member
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #982
UPDATE:
Well the repower is a very nice upgrade. Maybe one day it will snow again and I will get to see how it handles the 48" blower.

Or, if I can find a wing mower, I'm sure the extra power will pay off.

Been busy here, still need to make time to tinker with the exhaust.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for replacement seats? I really do not want to get into some big modification but I am a little disappointed with the durability of the replacement seat I bought from GRAVELY a while back. And now they want e en higher prices for the one that fits my tractor.

None of the aftermarket ones I have found have the right bolt pattern, and I do not want to give up the flip forward, angled adjustment track that mine has.

Your thoughts....

Sheldon

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just replaced my 16G seat last week. Looks like the same one that SC Lakeside got from Northern Tool. Mine was off the shelf from TSC. There were several threaded hole options and some matched up with the bracket. On one side i did need to touch up the hole with a round file, but it was an easy swap.

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Of course the Michigan (who makes the seat for Gravely) seats have been available for years, but the bolt hole pattern doesn't typically match a G series rider. I think the simple solution is to make an aluminum adapter plate.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #987
Unfortunately, based on the diagram you posted, or the somewhat different one on the Northern Tool website, none of those bolt patterns are even close. The pattern is 8" wide by 6.25" deep, squarely in the middle of the seat.

My tractor does not have the two "buggy springs", it has this setup:

This was a new replacement seat from GRAVELY about 6-7 years ago. It has already cracked over a year ago, and the welting that holds the cover on is loose and failed.

I acquired these arm rests NOS at the same time, but did not like them, removed and sold them.
The original seat lasted slightly longer, and for many years I had a seat cover on it.

I still have the original seat with the idea that maybe someone can recover it??????

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #988
Of course the Michigan (who makes the seat for Gravely) seats have been available for years, but the bolt hole pattern doesn't typically match a G series rider. I think the simple solution is to make an aluminum adapter plate.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Well, an adapter plate is an interesting idea. But I have little confidence that a $79-$100 seat will hold up any better than the $200 seat from GRAVELY. Both the original seat and a GRAVELY replacement have both failed in 7-8 years. And my tractor has never spent the night outdoors in its 25 years.......

I don't have any suitable materials for an adapter plate just laying around. such a project would require time and additional expense. How much would I really save at that point over just buying the next $200 seat from GRAVELY?

I still have the original seat, I am going to take it to some automotive/boat upholstery shops and see what they say about recovering it.

I did talk with another GRAVELY user who said he had one recovered and it has held up well.

I really am interested in a more durable solution.

Sheldon

·
Registered
77 Posts
My old seat, above, came from Gravely ans saw a lot of hard use. The seat frame had broken on both sides and was not worth fixing, let alone attempting a re-cover. It went in the trash after I got the new one on.
06.25.18 Gravely - Seat Old 3.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #990 (Edited)
My experience is just the opposite, both my original seat that came with the tractor in 1996 and was on the tractor until 2012 (with a seat cover after it cracked), as well as the current replacement seat, are fine in terms of the metal pans, no damage and no rust. Of course the tractor has never been stored outdoors.

But both have the typical crack in the covers at inside corner, and the welting is loose on the newer seat.

If I find someone who will recover them, I might have them do both, that might prove to be a "lifetime" solution.

When I bough this tractor in 1996, the wife rolled her eyes at the $8,500 price tag for the tractor and attachments.

I told her it would be the only garden tractor we would ever have to buy, she rolled her eyes again.

Today, she believes me.........and she quickly saw the value in replacing the engine.

Sheldon

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sheldon, I got my '86 8163-G in May of '96. I had seen it in my NoVA dealers back lot with no engine on it. Its original Briggs 16hp was kaput and junked. I had been looking for a long frame tractor to replace the short frame '84 8122 that I had. Its 12hp K-301 had worn out and wasn't rebuild-able, so the dealer said, so I had an M-18S put on it around 1990. What a difference that made.

When I saw the 8163-G and its 50" deck I asked how much they wanted for it, thinking I'd put the 18 hp engine on it. Then I asked how much with a new engine and its 50" deck. They said $3500. I said bring it, but put an hour meter on it. They did. There is now @1200 hours on that M-18S engine. The deck that came with the tractor had seen better days so I ordered a new deck shell and transferred all its parts over to the new shell and scrapped the old one.

That tractor has been trouble free in the 24 years I have had it and has always been kept indoors. Around 2001 I had a new PTO clutch put in by the dealer as the original one was failing. For many years in VA I was putting over 125 hours a year on the tractor- -and a lot of it was hard use, dragging dead pine trees, brush, hauling half ton+ loads of split firewood, mowing many acres, plowing and blowing snow, etc. I had a 44" snow cannon for a while but I sold it before we came down here.
. 115_1523.JPG

Down here in SC I maybe put 25 hours a year on the tractor, as I mainly mow with the 5260 and 40" kidney deck unless it is too hot to walk. No need inviting a heat stroke on this 70 y/o heart. I do use the bigger deck for mulching leaves with this that I fabricated back in the fall of 1984. I got the idea from an old push mower I had at one time that had something like it on it.

Leaf Mulcher Screen 1.jpg Leaf Mulcher Screen 2.jpg Leaf Mulcher Screen 3.jpg

That is enough from me t'nite. Hosta lumbago.

981 - 991 of 991 Posts