My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 932 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are some pictures of the latest improvements to my 16G.

60 watt headlights and clear lens.

New tires and repainted front wheel weights.

Weather stripping bumpers for bagger cans - the only minor problem I have ever had with the bagger was the end cans would sometimes come loose from their "exact" position - this fixed it. Some sick on weather stripping. It took a couple tries and some weather strip adheasive, but it works great now.

This next one has yet to be tested, since the snow dozer frame is still at the repair shop. But my calculations suggest this will apply about 30 lb of additional down force on the dozer while still allowing the full floating action.

And finally, my new rear wheel weights, waiting to be installed as soon as the brake project is completed.

Your thoughts are welcomed,

Sheldon

·
Gravely 408 Authority
1,809 Posts
Lookin pretty sharp! Give us an update on the spring loaded piece for the dozer blade when it's in and tested!

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where did u get the spring from. Thanks Mike

Believe it or not, my local hardware store. I bought all they had this size, as well as a few other sizes I experimented with, because they were closing them out and switching to another vendor who does not have that size on his display.

So I have 5 extras I think. I will post the specs for anyone interested.

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Looking good Sheldon!

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I gotta say I like your headlight version better than the original frosted lens.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update:

The spring specs - 1" outside dia., 4" overall length, wire size aprox .125", aprox 16 coils total. I measured about 90 lbs needed to compress the spring, so based on the position of the axle mount relative to the lift rod and the blade, I estimate about 30lbs of force transfered to the blade.

Last evening I cut the grass as it was getting dark and had even more time to check out the effectiveness of the 60 watt headlights. From right in front of the tractor out to about 65' is bright and very well lit, well focused on the road. Out from there to about 120' there is good useable light. I was actually able to cut the grass in the dark!

I am now working on the tail light/backup light mounting bar for behind the seat.

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
I gotta say I like your headlight version better than the original frosted lens.
I like it too, :thThumbsU it probably works alot better that the lense on my 432. After I changed the lense I couldn't see anything with the factory head lights so I had to add the bug eyes. Ed

Attachments

·
Back in VA!
215 Posts
This next one has yet to be tested, since the snow dozer frame is still at the repair shop. But my calculations suggest this will apply about 30 lb of additional down force on the dozer while still allowing the full floating action.

hey i need a new linkage for my dozer blade. know anywhere i can get that bolt setup?

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey i need a new linkage for my dozer blade. know anywhere i can get that bolt setup?
This is just the stock Gravely parts with the spring and a few washers added. The stock Gravely rod for the dozer has two dimples/that prevent the slide from going all the way to the bottom. I just slid the washers and spring on and put it back together.

The trick was finding the right spring - specs listed above.

You can click on my picture to inlarge it and take a closer look.

Sheldon

·
Back in VA!
215 Posts
ok sounds great. but i am looking for those stock gravely parts. any ideas on where to find them? i dont have any gravely guys around here that i know of. we had one in warrenton but they went under last year.

·
Back in VA!
215 Posts
also those ehadlights are beautiful! one day i may have to address the lights on my 816,

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you don't have a dealer nearby, I would just call Richards:

http://www.gravelyparts.com/

Or order on line from Jacks Small Engines:

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/

On the jacks web site you can just input Gravely part numbers, old or new numbering, and it will give you prices.

The part numbers are #011262 and 035690 for the pivot and rod. The nuts are just regular 1/2-13 jam nuts or you can use a self locking one like I did.

I guess I'm spoiled, I have three dealers within an 18 mile radius of my house, one of which is Jacks and they are only 6 miles away.

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And, as a follow up, I got my snow dozer frame back from the welding shop today all repaired from the beating I gave it last winter. So as soon as I get it painted and reassembled, we will do a "dry" test of the new spring equiped lift rod.

Sheldon

PS - The tail lights are comming soon!

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update:

The snow dozer is painted and re-assembled.

Most of the steering brake system parts are ready to install.

Installation of the brake system will begin as soon as I feel the lawn will not need much additional mowing or leaf removal since the bagger needs to be removed to install the brakes.

A local machine shop is making the longer brake cross shaft, my custom right side neutral kick out pedal and a bell crank that makes that work. All the other parts I have found or am making myself.

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SWEET! :trink40:

I really wish I'd known that Gravely sold black snowdozers before I painted mine orangey-red.

Did you replace the grip on the pivot control, and if so, where did you source it from?
Thank you!

That's funny, I briefly considered painting mine Gravely red. If I recall correctly, my fathers snow dozer on his 812 was black as well.

The grip is original and in good shape, I removed it while painting.

It seems as time marched on, more and more stuff was black. My dozer came black and the blower housing on my bagger/vac setup is black from the factory, while earlier ones were red. The M18S engine is blak as well. My tractor was produced in 1995, I bought it new early in 1996, with the dozer, and bought the bagger/vac the next spring.

Also my tractor has many more unpainted fastners than earlier tractors and the clutch control rod from the foot pedal is black, as is the original engine guard.

As one of my other improvements I plan to build rear hitch frame extensions to allow the rear guard to be installed in winter without relocating the hitch frame from its "blower/vac" position and without removing the rear drive pulley.

If the neighbor keeps his leaves under control, I may start on the brakes next week. With all the black that is already on the tractor, I thought making the brakes black would fit right in.

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
When I received my new brake shoes, I gave them another coat of paint.

I don't want a repeat of what happened the first time

Golly, what a great looking bunch of parts! You should be proud.

1 - 20 of 932 Posts