My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the standard size tires on a LX 178 or Lx 188 with larger size tires to help increase the tractor height and deck cutting height. My Lx178 deck only goes to 3.5 in and sometimes I like to mow as high a 4" especially around my barn. If so which size tires will fit the same rims?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hate to bump a really old thread, but has anyone ever done this? I've searched but no luck so far.

JDBNC, did you ever give it a shot?

I'm rebuilding an LX178 for my dad, and looking at higher traction tires because he'll treat it like a tractor all over his farm, mowing fence lines, around the pond, etc.

I've looked at the Carlisle All Trails, and they look like a pretty good option for traction, but I think he would benefit from an extra inch of cutting height and ground clearance.

I'm wondering if a 22 x 10/11 x 8 would be a good size.
Something like these or these.

Anyone know if this size will clear the 48 mulcher compatible deck?
I've got the deck torn apart for paint and new spindles right now so I can't just throw it on and measure.

I realize I'll have to find something for the front to keep things level.
Maybe something like this on 8" front rims? Will these 8" rims for an LA series fit an LX?

The fronts would only be an inch larger, versus 2 inches for the back, but I feel like there's 1/2" of pitch adjustment in the deck mounts.

Can anyone confirm any of this would work? I feel like someone has to have tried it. :)

Thanks,
Casey

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I have a L120 that I put Ambush ATV tyres on that were 1 inch larger than the 22 inch specified and have a 48 inch deck. The tyres just fit without rubbing the deck and nothing special was done leveling the deck. Used the old wheels, just had the new tyres mounted.

The thing to do is measure the clearances under the fenders and to the deck. Also measure just what you can perhaps add to the width without touching the frame.

The traction is excellent with the ATV style tyres, never spin and the do not chew up the turf or ground even on bare wet dirt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts