My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a LGT 145 with 23 x 10 x 12 tires and was thinking about possible other larger taller sizes of tire for the tractor... Looks like I have 2 inches of room till the rubber rubs against the tin.

anyone put larger tires on their LGT? My main concearn is traction in the snow this winter. I have chains for my 12's but was curious if a larger tire would offer any more traction.

·
Registered
980 Posts
If you want more traction... fill your tires with free junkyard prestone...and then add cast iron wheel weights... works like a charm....

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
size doesnt equal traction. if anything, look for some narrower turfs, like 9.50 or 8.50

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If you plan on pulling a bottom plow, you will want to keep the tire narrow, as it needs to fit in the furrow the plow makes for all passes after the first. I went with a 23 8.50 12 on mine and they work great! Mine are Carlisle Tru-Powers ! Incredible traction, even on wet grass!

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Taller tires will usually out pull shorter ones if you have 2" of clearance then you can get a 4" taller tire which will split the distance between your clearance and raising the rear end by 2".I just put a set of 26-12-12 Outlaw radials 6 ply ATV tires with tractor bar type tread on them on my Ford LGT 14D diesel and they make the tractor way out pull the originals.For me ATV tires out pull the regular tractor tread design 90% of the time.Also you can get taller sizes that are narrower like a 28-10-12 in ATV tires.ATV tires usually need a narrower rim for the size tire when I mounted the 26-12-12 ATV tires on the rims the 23-10.5-12 GT tires came off of they fit perfectly.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking at the case 44x series and the only reason to me that they put such large tires on the back is for more traction... looks like our LGT's already have 50 + pounds more weight than those case machines, but, with the larger tires, I wonder if the case would out "traction" the Fords.

A taller tire in my books would give you are longer foot print with a less steap angle of attack to the ground, which seems like a good thing, I guess the question is, how much of a difference would it make, noticible or not?

I'm not too excited about the prestone in the wheels, as my parts machine has fluid in the wheels, and one leaked and made a huge mess over everything, I'd rather not have to clean that up again.

I do have the plastic cement wheel weights, and plan on putting 100+ pounds of salt on the back behind the axles ( I have to salt the hill on my drive or no one short of 4x4 can visit me even in a dusting of snow.)

I'll keep playing with the idea.. cost will probably win out, and I'll end up with lots of weight and the same tires.

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
880 Posts
if you don't like anti-freeze you could always use windshield washer fluid (as I did). It's almost the same weight as anti-freeze but not so "oily" if it leaks. Also, make sure your tire pressure is fairly low, such as 12 lbs or so. This will increase the contact patch and traction.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Rim gaurd is the best stuff.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have 26x12x12 Carlisle Tru-Power Ag tires on mine. Works great in the snow

Joe

Hey all,

I have a LGT 145 with 23 x 10 x 12 tires and was thinking about possible other larger taller sizes of tire for the tractor... Looks like I have 2 inches of room till the rubber rubs against the tin.

anyone put larger tires on their LGT? My main concearn is traction in the snow this winter. I have chains for my 12's but was curious if a larger tire would offer any more traction.

·
Registered
968 Posts

this one has 26x12-12 on it. they clear just fine and look to have just enough room for chains.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts