My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from waiting for a p/s unit to pop up on E-Bay,how difficult would it be to upgrade to p/s? What would I need and how would I do it?
Thanks,Bill

·
5,523 Posts
Aside from waiting for a p/s unit to pop up on E-Bay,how difficult would it be to upgrade to p/s? What would I need and how would I do it?
Thanks,Bill
Its not that hard at all just need 2 T's for the power stearing lines to tie into the hydro lines.

If you try to get one off ebay your looking at over $500.

Here a pic of the PS on one of my 1886-04's as of now it will soon be on my 1886-03 with FEL.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not that hard at all just need 2 T's for the power stearing lines to tie into the hydro lines.

If you try to get one off ebay your looking at over $500.

Here a pic of the PS on one of my 1886-04's as of now it will soon be on my 1886-03 with FEL.

Yes,but don't I need a "shrader valve"(I think thats the name) connected to the steering shaft? There has to be some sort of valve that directs fluid to the cylinder. I once had a '62 Belair that had P/S assist,which was a cylinder that worked off the P/S pump.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bolens used (on the large frames) what I prefer to call "power assist steering". There is no steering control valve or orbital valve used. Instead, there is still a mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the tires (if the valve bottoms out you can still mechanically steer the front tires). The valve provides the power assist by opening when the steering rod trys to push the assist cylinder. Oil is sent to the cylinder making the cylinder "keep up" with the steering rod. Some early cars (ford falcon/mustang) and farm tractors also used this type of steering.

The other type of power steering used on modern equipment is what I call "hydrostatic steering". This is where there is a steering control valve or orbotal valve attached to the steering wheel and a hydraulic cylinder attached to the wheels. There is no mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the tires, only hydraulic fluid.

Also note, to install the Bolens factory large frame power steering unit you need to plumb it "in series" with the spool valve. You cannot just use two tees and plumb it in parallel. Oil from the aux pump on the hydro needs to go to the steering assist unit first, flow through the steering unit then go to the spool valve as it normally would.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Kevin. I remember a member(Skyrydr2) adding p/s to his ford,so I reread his thread. Unfortunately,the orbital valve he recommended is no longer available from surplus center.Any other suggestions? There is a used farm machinery yard near me that will probably have something used if I know what to look for.
Thanks,Bill

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
Just a note: I have been told that the "power assist" cylinder that Bolens used was originally manufactured by Cessna, but is now NLA. And there is no current equivalent available in the marketplace.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Thanks Kevin. I remember a member(Skyrydr2) adding p/s to his ford,so I reread his thread. Unfortunately,the orbital valve he recommended is no longer available from surplus center.Any other suggestions? There is a used farm machinery yard near me that will probably have something used if I know what to look for.
Thanks,Bill
I should have bought one, I think it was going for half of what the remaining stock are going for.

·
5,523 Posts
Just a note: I have been told that the "power assist" cylinder that Bolens used was originally manufactured by Cessna, but is now NLA. And there is no current equivalent available in the marketplace.
Thats what mine is.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I thought about doing one of the electric units from a newer model vehicle. Alot of new cars have an electric motor within the dash that assists the steering, much like the hydraulic unit on the bolens. Turn the wheel and it powers the wheels. Many are compact, but i'm sure the wiring isn't a simple + / - hook up. It might require more work than necessary to run. However, i'm seeing alot of conversion adapted for UTV's.

Here is a Chevrolet Cobalt electric steering unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Now compare it to this kit offered for a Yamaha Rhino.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...810398QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This would be a cool route to go, i'm just not sure how to adapt one from a car. It looks like the Rhino kit uses some type of ECU.

Nick

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM THAT MICKEY MOUSE ELECTRIC STEERING!! They WILL NOT WORK with out the vehicles' PCM as they need input from the speedo and engine to allow them to work, also they draw 40 plus amps too:(
Look for a used 5 port steering valve off a JD or even the 4 port one will work, Surplus has the 4 port versions but only 6 left at $229 https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-6698&catname=hydraulic
If you can find one of the old power assist steering cylinders( they have the valve built into one end of the cylinder) it will also work for you as stated earlier, but I think it might be hard to find one with the correct stroke ? Good luck , and we will try and help;)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I don't think the electric units for the Rhino's, Rangers, and CubCadet UTV's pull that much.. but then again you'll have over 700.00 in it and still need to modify it to fit. Would the hydraulic steering assembly from a 3000 series cub cadet work? I've seen a million of these tractors setting rusting away... then again... perhaps the steering assembly isn't any better than the rest of the tractor. Not to take a dig at the Cub guys, I just don't think these were nearly the tractor of their predecessors. Then again it's not fair to compare apples to oranges.

Nick

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mine is a simple hydraulic cylinder plumbed into the rear hydro. It's a factory option on my HT23. I have the manual, but I need the I.T. department here at home to help me scan it.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If you see tons of the cub p/s set-ups snag one, those will work great, as long as it has fittings and not flanged-tab lines, these ones are terrible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts