My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where were the original model/serial number tags located on the large frame Bolens like 1455, 1476, etc? I have looked everywhere I can think of and don't see anything on the tractor.

Is the engine number/serial the only thing we can go by?

Based on the Wisconsin S-14D serial number of the tractor I recently bought and just picked up Friday (which I think is a 1455), the motor would be from a 1971 year model 1476-01. The serial number on the motor is 324744.
With no frame number that I can find, I can't confirm that this is or isn't a 1476. The tractor came with the 15" wheels like a 1455, not the 12" ones that 1476's typically came with. Anyone can swap wheels, and many of these older units have engines swapped, so what else can I check to confirm model?

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Steevo,
There may be a tag on top of the heat shield behind the engine. It may have been painted over if someone has repainted the tractor. I will try to take a picture of mine tomorrow and post it to show the location.
Dave

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, that's going to be a problem, because as near as I can tell, the heat shield is the only piece missing from this tractor . . .

DOH!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, if anyone knows of any differences between a 1455 and a 1476, please let me know.
For now, I'll assume the engine is original and call this one a 1476-01

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been examining the parts manuals side by side, and I think I have determined that this tractor is a 1455.
The steering wheel has the ribbed sections on each side (although they are almost worn off) like the 1455 had, and the seat pan is solid backed, not slotted and angular like a 1476.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts