My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Still plays with tractors
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The keyboard on my daughter's HP laptop is going bad. I never realized you could replace them. My question is, how do you do it? We have the keyboard ordered and it was only like 11 dollars and some change. But i hear that it's like 50 bucks to have it switched out. I also hear that 50 bucks might be worth it. Anyone ever change one?

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,954 Posts
I'm betting if you googled something like "HP [whatever model number] Keyboard replacement", you'd be able to come up a fixit website that'd probably step you right through the process... Most of the ones I've seen have pretty good pictures to go along with them too....

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
It is not a difficult task for a practiced PC technician.

However, if you are not used to working on laptops, you need to realize they use some very small delicate connectors with very small delicate retaining clips.

If you are not comfortable, it may well be worth that $50.

·
Super Moderator
35,770 Posts
Keyboards are the easiest piece of the laptop to replace. Most of the time if you look down along the keyboard you can see some spring retainers. They are different on different models so I recommend looking it up online. Once removed the keyboard normally lifts out and you'll need to follow the small ribbon cable to the plug and carefully remove. Replace by reversing steps!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I've repaired lots of laptops. You can download the repair manual from HP which will show you how to swap out the keyboard. It's not worth $50 labour.

·
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks for all the quick responses. I guess I'll be looking this up to see if it's something I want to try. Very small margin for error here by the time the part gets here. My neighbor is a computer guy and I asked him about it. He said he changed one out and will never do it again. He jokes some times. He sad to bring it over and he would look at it. If I have the repair instructions, it might turn out pretty well.:thanku:

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Dell's are by far, the easiest laptops to work on. I don't support HP equipment so I've never had to do any hardware repair on them. But I've worked on Sony, Dell, Toshiba etc. And I have to say... Dell = Easy!

Sony = Royal pain in my........

·
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I did it. I changed out the keyboard and we're back up and running. I downloaded the repair manual but not everything in there matched up. The biggest thing was the manual showed 4 screws to take out and I only have three. Anyway, you wouln't believe it but I found a youtube video that went through the process step by step. Watched that and 5 minutes later, I was done. Boy, am I glad I didn't pay $50 for that. Thank you gentlemen for all the help!

·
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What you're really saying is, put it to GOOD use!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts