My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Been lurking for a while and not much posting, but the problem I started having with my 175 has me baffled. After about an hour of mowing, the tractor starts sputtering like its out of gas and has a mostly full tank. When looking at the fuel filter, I noticed its not completely full (fuel level is only 1/4 of the way up the bowl) and some air bubbles. So far, I have replaced the fuel filter and no difference; same problem persists. This morning I replaced the fuel pump and still the same problem. My next thought is replacing the fuel lines from the tank all the way to the carb. Do you have any other thoughts or suggestions before I start taking the seat pan off for this project?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hey everyone. Been lurking for a while and not much posting, but the problem I started having with my 175 has me baffled. After about an hour of mowing, the tractor starts sputtering like its out of gas and has a mostly full tank. When looking at the fuel filter, I noticed its not completely full (fuel level is only 1/4 of the way up the bowl) and some air bubbles. So far, I have replaced the fuel filter and no difference; same problem persists. This morning I replaced the fuel pump and still the same problem. My next thought is replacing the fuel lines from the tank all the way to the carb. Do you have any other thoughts or suggestions before I start taking the seat pan off for this project?
It sounds like you are slowly starving for fuel which is not uncommon. Replace the fuel lines and while you have the seat pan off make sure the vent is not plugged up. The vent is just above the fuel filler but you can't see it until remove the pan.

·
Registered
143 Posts
An hour of running first seems odd for a fuel issue. Id expect something more like 10 minutes or less for a restriction issue. But..... try removing the fuel cap when the issue happens and see if it fixes the issue. Maybe your vent is clogged and your sucking a vacuum on the fuel tank.

Your comments on the filter sound normal, the paper media gets wet and the pump will pull the fuel through with just a part of the media in the fuel. I just look at the exit port to see that its solid full of fuel while running with no air bubbles traveling through.

My other though is that some part of the ignition system is failing and dies out after its warmed up. Would be the coil or maybe igniter. Go here, they give a pretty good rundown on how to test it. You may need to run it till it starts failing and then test it hot.

http://www.justanswer.com/small-engine/3pfqr-john-deere-175-hydro-cranks-wont-start.html

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
I had this same problem recently. Found out it was the fuel shut off under the seat was halfway off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions; it was the fuel lines. Replaced from the carb all the way to the tank along with the fuel tank vent hose. She ran great when I mowed this past weekend!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts