My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been lurking here & on sister sites for a few years now so I thought I'd start a post on my homemade cab for my LA165. Just have to finish the Lexan and re-install & finish up the wiring. A LOT of work but will be worth it in the end. I used different features on cabs I've seen but mostly from this one on the 400 series.

These first pics are of the initial mock up off of my soft cab off of a 300 series that I bought off of another PEI member here. I liked it fine, I just wanted a windshield & the benefits of a solid cab. It started as a project for junior & I. I'm a Millwright by trade & love building things. It make for great shop/beer time lol.

As you can see I shaved quite a bit off of the front by sloping it in but kept the same foot print as the canvas one. I kept the foot petals inside the sloped up unlike the Femco in the pic.

The factory fender flares will be removed for winter to get the cab close to the seat pan. Once spring hits I'm taking the seat pan off & cleaning a couple of rust spots it the foot wells. I'll take it down to sheet metal, then prime & re-paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Re: LA165 Cab Build

The back is framed with 1" square tubing attaching to the weight bracket & then to the frame & skinned in 1/8" sheet metal. The doors frames are 1" angle iron so the 3/4" square tubing sits into it. I'll install weather stripping later.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Re: LA165 Cab Build

I wanted the front to completely open to open the bonnet if needed, so I fabricated up these spring loaded latches (nails are temporary as you'll see later lol ). I installed gas shocks to hold it up when open. I bent up a 1/2" rod stock handle to pull it closed. I have a rubber off of a trunk lid from a car to sweep along the top of the bonnet when closed (pics later)

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I used screen door closers for the doors, they lock in any position & are self closing. The doors open 90 degrees for re-fueling etc. The latches are door latches that were installed sideways, instead of vertically. I made grab handles out of 1/2" stock so the door latches weren't being pulled on to close the door. All of the seams between the 3/4" tubing & sheet metal were caulked for appearance & sealing.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The roof is bent to be 2" high to create a cavity for my wiring. The corner marker lights will be on a flasher to act as four way flashers. All the welds were buffed out & the door seams were body filled before primer.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had to set up a temporary paint booth in my shop. Primed with Tremclad primer & shot with an HLVP gun with Tremclad JD Green with hardener added.
The inside of the roof looked blotchy here as that's where I finished each coat as it isn't going to be visible. It was re-coated later.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re-assembly started here. I threw a stand together for summer storage. I'll add proper casters under it soon after I re-install the cab. At the rear where it bolts to the main frame I have two studs 6" long where I put 4 pieces of 1" plate for counter weight (130 lbs)

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took a roof liner from a junked car for the roof liner. The black plate is waiting 5 round LED lit rocker switches to control all the lights, garage door opener is Velcro'ed to it as well. Under in in the roof is a 6 ATM fuse panel to control
1. 4 corner marker lights
2. 1 rear work light
3. 2 front roof mounted work lights
4. rear flashing beacon light
5. possible fan

More on the wiring later, last pic shows some Lexan installed. I opted for 1/4" Lexan & the rubber seals. Few more windows in the doors then re-install to cut the front window around the bonnet & install the trunk seal to the Lexan. Then finish up the wiring.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks tracktortag, it's been a long process, few hours here & there but the finish line is in site lol. Can't wait to try it...may be more snow later this week, hopefully have the Lexan in by then & re-installed.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Looks good Jay! Do you have pics of your mounting points, also did you build the cab for the 455 or did you replicate it for this build?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll put some pics of the front mounts on later, they are just 1/4" x 3" flat bar bent 90 degrees. The cab on the 445 is a Femco I believe, just a pic from on-line.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Wow- very impressive!!

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Very well done and wrote up Jay!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You did a great job, makes ours cobbed up one look like a low rent district! :)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Looking great so far Jason. You are gonna be much more comfy in that cab than the old x320 cab that you got from me.

·
Proud JD Owner
1,748 Posts
Very nice!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone, hope to finish the Lexan, hand windshield wiper & wiring this week, I'll keep you posted with pics of course.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Something to be very proud of!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts