My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This linkage seems to be causing problems with starting and running. When running, the engine will sometimes shut down unexpectedly and I’ve noticed when it happens that this linkage moves on its own. What is this linkage and what is causing it to move/close and shut down the engine? Is this something that I can repair or replace on my own?

Thanks very much in advance! ... Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
9,153 Posts
That appears to be the main throttle for the engine. That it moves right when the engine stops is much more likely to be a coincidence rather than the cause, as if that lever moves to either end of it's range, it either just slows down the engine to it's minimum speed or it's maximum speed (or over-speeds the engine if you manually move the lever, the governor prevents this from happening).

·
Super Moderator
43,342 Posts
Welcome to MTF! Lots of info here and great members to help and share with, enjoy the site! @dave_r has you on the right track. That shouldn't be any type of problem it is supposed to move!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help and for accepting me into the forum! I found a tip in a older thread that actually helped with the starting issue but I’m still having a problem with the engine just shutting down shortly after starting. What’s weird is that sometimes it will run for half an hour before shutting down, and other times it won’t stay running for a minute. It’s maddening!

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I'm not familiar with those engines, but they all have a solenoid on the bottom of the carb. When you turn the key on it powers a plunder that blocks the fuel flow and opens the flow. If that plunger has gotten gummed up and is closing slowly, or not at all that may cause it to run on? If the solenoid goes bad it does the opposite and will not let fuel flow, and the engine won't start.

just today my X540 would start and run for a second then shut right down. I noticed just as it shut down the fuel gauge and dash lights went out. I put a little constant pressure on the key and it started and ran fine. Let go of the key and it shut off. Looks like it's time for a new switch for me?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts