My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, although I have lurked here for a couple of years. I have an LA130 with a tired tranny. I am in the process of gathering the parts needed to do the K66 swap. I decided to go with G100 hubs and five bolt wheels. I just got a pair of 12"x8.5" wheels from a Sears Suburban, which I was told are dimensionally the same as JD wheels. I don't have any of the other parts in hand yet. In trying to visualize how these wheels with 23x10.5 tires will fit, I am concerned that the tires will rub on the rear mower deck wheels. I have the 48" deck. I have not gotten tires yet and am wondering if I should go with 23x9.5 instead to reduce the overall width. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
davidg - Thanks for your welcome and reply. I did change the oil in the K46, but it didn't help much. Based on what I've read here, I believe the K66 is the solution for me. Besides, I love to tinker. I'm not sure if tire clearance with the gauge wheels will be an issue. Its just that I have everthing except the tires ordered and I'm anxious to get them too so that I have everthing ready before I start. I was thinking that I would play it safe and get 23x9.5-12 tires for those wheels I got, but according to a Carlisle fitment chart, 23x9.5 tires should go on a 7" wide wheel, so that might not be ideal. I'm hoping sombody that has done something similar can verify 23x10.5's will clear or 23x9.5's on an 8.5" wide wheel would be okay. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
There's a thread in the "sticky" file that goes into all the details of this type of swap-out. I'd post it if I knew how to get into it. Can someone post a link to that for Mr. honda450xman.

:MTF_wel2: You'll find everyone here is very helpful and knowledgable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
steelhrd - It started to slip at approx 300 hrs, but I used it pretty hard hauling numerous cartloads of dirt up a very steep incline. Woodsy - I think I'm familiar with that thread. Its probably the one that gave me the idea to do the swap. I believe G110 wheels where used in it, which are keyed to the axle and held on with snap rings. Those wheels are hard to come by, so I ordered G100 hubs and plan on using the Suburban 5 bolt wheels. I got idea to get the hubs from another thread - there was even a picture posted showing them on the tractor, but the mower deck was not installed on it. If the offset on my Suburban wheels is the same as JD, I should be okay. I 'm just a little unsure whether to get 10.5" wide tires that I know fit my wheels but may rub or get 9.5" wide ones, knowing that they should be used on narrower wheels than I have.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
the 10.5" ones should be OK, unless you run chains. If you run chains, you may want to doublecheck the dimensions

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks wally. Your post on the conversion is what motivated me to do this. It was great of you to provide the all the part numbers needed.

·
More Liberty, Less Tyrany
641 Posts
This is my first post, although I have lurked here for a couple of years. I have an LA130 with a tired tranny. I am in the process of gathering the parts needed to do the K66 swap. I decided to go with G100 hubs and five bolt wheels. I just got a pair of 12"x8.5" wheels from a Sears Suburban, which I was told are dimensionally the same as JD wheels. I don't have any of the other parts in hand yet. In trying to visualize how these wheels with 23x10.5 tires will fit, I am concerned that the tires will rub on the rear mower deck wheels. I have the 48" deck. I have not gotten tires yet and am wondering if I should go with 23x9.5 instead to reduce the overall width. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.
I still wonder if boring out the original rims and welding a sleeve outside to add back the strength and milling the keyway for a 1" bore.

I'm going to try this when I get my K66 swap together so I don't have to buy hubs and wheels/tires.

If it doesn't work then I'll break down and hunt hubs and tires to fix it.

I can't leave anything alone anyway...

·
Registered
718 Posts
I still wonder if boring out the original rims and welding a sleeve outside to add back the strength and milling the keyway for a 1" bore.

I'm going to try this when I get my K66 swap together so I don't have to buy hubs and wheels/tires.

If it doesn't work then I'll break down and hunt hubs and tires to fix it.

I can't leave anything alone anyway...
You are a much more brave soul than me. I'd be so scared that it wouldn't hold, give way during a heavy pull and bend the k66 I just bought.

You guys need to let us know how this works out for you. This is the kinds of stuff I love to try. I'm already planning what to do to my x500 when the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have access to the equipment to do it, that might be the way to go. But if you had to pay someone for the machine work, it might not be cost effective.
UPS delivered my K66 today, so now I'm waiting for a call from my JD dealer saying the parts are in. Then I'll be ready to go! I'm actually glad my LA 130 gave me the opportunity to do this because I can't leave anything alone either.

·
More Liberty, Less Tyrany
641 Posts
You are a much more brave soul than me. I'd be so scared that it wouldn't hold, give way during a heavy pull and bend the k66 I just bought.

You guys need to let us know how this works out for you. This is the kinds of stuff I love to try. I'm already planning what to do to my x500 when the warranty runs out.
The rims are mild steel, not hardened, I'd make a 'collar' for the outside and drill holes in it to make some plug welds as well as welding around the outside edge and against the rim itself Do this on both sides. Then drill out hte center to 1". The center of the rims with the collars 'sandwiched' in between would be thinner but the amount of space would be negligible.. Once this is done you could just make the keyway larger with a file or have it machined. You are just increasing the original keyway and already have a guide.

The one drawback I could see is making the collar too large where the rubber cap would be either a bear to get back on or too large to stretch over it and tear.

I would most certainly do this before shelling out the bucks for new hubs/rims and tires. This would cut down the conversion price significantly..

The shafts of the K66 *ARE* hardened and the rims/keyways are mild steel so you have a 'fuse' where they key and/or rim would fail BEFORE the shaft of the K66 would.

DISCLAIMER: Im no machinist, metallurgist, or master fabricator nor do I play one on TV. I'm only a "try it/break it/fix better than before and try it again" kind of guy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just completed the swap on my L120 and used the hubs w/ 5 lug wheels. There is about 1" clearance between the tire and the wheels on the deck. I reused the original tires, 22x9.5-12, and used the 23x8.5-12 wheels. I also have the wheels installed for the maximum width. With the offset of the wheel, I can swap them around and increase the clearance. I do not think the 10.5" wheel would work well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just completed the swap on my L120 and used the hubs w/ 5 lug wheels. There is about 1" clearance between the tire and the wheels on the deck. I reused the original tires, 22x9.5-12, and used the 23x8.5-12 wheels. I also have the wheels installed for the maximum width. With the offset of the wheel, I can swap them around and increase the clearance. I do not think the 10.5" wheel would work well.
Thanks Mashbox. That's exactly the input I was looking for. I'm going to order 23x9.5-12's for my wheels, which should give me about the same clearance. My JD dealer called today. All of my parts are in except 3, which are backordered. I'm gonna go get what's here and hopefully the b/o parts will be in by the time my tires arrive. Does the speed of your tractor seem alright with the 22" tires?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts