My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

My '64 convertible had carb issues and I had Richard's rebuild it for me. I've reinstalled everything and the carb is great but when I up the RPM's the governor pulls so hard that it takes it back to an idle. I have to fight against the governor to keep the revs up. Oh course I could have setup the controls wrong. I've attached some pics for your reference. Thanks for your help,

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
When you say fight against the governor exactly what do you mean? Is your throttle lever moving too easily, so the governor just pulls back the governor lever and the carb goes to idle?
Looks like the clip holding your cable is installed so the cable never pulls the throttle back enough.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I say 'fight against the governor' I mean that it appears to me that the governor is pulling the throttle back to idle. I could definitely have the setup totally wrong. I'm attaching to pics. IMG-1976 is the tractor running at idle, and 1977 is running at higher rpms. The throttle lever feels like it has the correct resistance when engine is off, rather difficult to increase rpm's when it's running.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
The governor is supposed to pull the throttle toward idle.

The idea is that the throttle control pulls on a spring, which pulls the governor arm toward opening the throttle. As RPM increases, the gov spins faster, and pulls back. At some point, you get to equilibrium, where the spring is pulling one way, the gov is pulling the other way, the forces balance, and the RPM stays constant. RPM drops under load, the spring pulls the throttle more open. RPM increases when the load is removed, and the gov pulls it back.

From your pix, I think it's set up correctly, but it's hard to tell. There's a rod going aft from the belcrank toward the governor control arm. There should be a short spring between that rod and the arm. That's off the right side of the frame in your pix.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When I say 'fight against the governor' I mean that it appears to me that the governor is pulling the throttle back to idle. I could definitely have the setup totally wrong.
Hi GBC gravely fan,

Attached is 2 docs which describes how to set the linkage. Be sure to check your bellcrank location on the throttle shaft, swivel pin adjustment and governor spring location in the arm.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out..... RB in RI

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your feedback. Picture IMG-1971 shows the connection to the governor. I have it attached to the spring. Perhaps I should move the spring to another hole on the governor arm.

With the tractor sitting still I can increase the RPM's and the tractor will 'pull' the throttle back to the idle position. There is no load applied that is causing the change. You cannot increase your throttle and take your hand off the throttle without it returning to idle.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Ah, you're right, the spring is there, and installed correctly.

When it "pulls back to idle", does the throttle lever move? If so, you need to tighten up the setscrew on the lever, so that it will hold against the governor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, you're right, the spring is there, and installed correctly.

When it "pulls back to idle", does the throttle lever move? If so, you need to tighten up the setscrew on the lever, so that it will hold against the governor.
jrd you found the problem! I tightened the set screw on the lever and now the tractor is maintaining rpm's much better. I have racked my brain over this and it's 1 small screw..... Thanks a million!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts