My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm having an issue with my hydraulic control joystick (please forgive my lack of vocabulary when it comes to tractor talk) in that it won't stay in the "float" position (all the way forward). In the past, the joystick would always kind of lock in that position. When using the front snowblower I keep the blower in this float position so the blower maintains contact with the ground through only the weight of the blower, not down pressure from the hydraulics. Now, I have to hold the stick up in the float position...

Any ideas what might be causing this? I talked to a guy at a local Kubota shop and he said there are two black tubes coming off the botom of the control that I need to take off and empty the water out of. When I look at it, I can see two maybe 1/2 or 3/4" diameter steel "nipples", is this what he's talking about? I took one off, and it seemed to have a watery substance in it, but it was black like oil. Does this sound like an accurate fix for my problem? If so, I must have to drain them both? It appeared that one "nipple" was for the lift control and one for the tilt control, so I only drained the one that appeared to be associated with the lift.

Any other ideas as to how to remedy this situation?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Welcome aboard phishheadmi.

When I've used the float on my BX23's FEL to move dirt etc., it will pop out at times and it's done that since new. I've alwys excepted that it was normal.

The procedure you were given is the most common cause of most joystick problems, no matter the make/model. Once water/condensation builds up enough in those controllers it can cause all kinds of FEL problems.

On addtional thing you might try is to drill a very small hole at the bottom most edge of those caps. This will give any collect water/condensation a path to drain.

Another thing to check is to make sure the linkages are clean & tight.

Other than that perhaps someone will happen along w/more insight as I don't get much snow duty down my way :D

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave,

The guy I talked to at the shop mentioned drilling a small hole too. From his description though, I thought I was looking for two small tubes...I'm thinking like 1/8 or 1/4" tubes...not quite what I found, which is like I mentioned, probably an inch in diameter steel nipple. I meant to grab a pic before I left this morning so I could make sure I'm doing the right thing before I drill...but in my morning haste, I forgot. Does it sound like I'm talking about drilling the right piece?

The float's always occasionally popped out for me too, but it started happening more and more frequently and now it just won't stay in at all. That's why I thought it kind of made sense with the condensation thing...building up over time (she just turned 10 years old).

I'm scrambling to finish a plywood cab before the snow flies (I do snow removal for an association across the street from me and a few neighbor's driveways) so I haven't messed with it much. I'm about to take the cab off for paint, so I'll have a better opportunity to get into it.

Thanks again for your help! :thThumbsU

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
The joystick on my BX23 has those tubes. Seems Kubota did a redesign which has done away with them on most models now.
I don't get much snow duty and I park in the dry, so I haven't had this issue but, it's pretty common for those that have alot of snow duty.
Theres been some that have gotten so much moisture that it froze the controls. The joystick wouldn't budge until they thawed the controller out :D

Good luck and let us know.
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts