My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
More Liberty, Less Tyrany
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of deciding what to do with my old craftsman mower.

The transaxle is toast with a bad pinion gear and a cracked case. She is probably headed for 'part out land'.

I bought it 15 years ago with a snow blade,weights and chains. Because of the design of the blade mount it probably won't be a bolt up with a lot of mowers. The blade, springs, and lift mechanism (Hand bar with cable adj for right/left blade swing) are all in perfect working order.

Here in Virginia we get some, not a lot of snow and I have an asphalt driveway of about 10,000 sq feet with a single slope down toward my shop.
We never seem to get more than 6" at a pop and Im usually out there shoveling or pushing way before it gets to that point.

I'm wondering if I attempted to fabricate a mount and get the snow blade to attach to my L130 would pushing about 6" of snow be too much for the hydro transaxle?

It's probably not recommended and I see no way to mount wheel weights to the rims (probably a first clue to answering my questions...)

Should I attempt this or just try and get rid of the blade with the old tractor and keep my push snowblower ready?

My wife and I are EXTREMELY happy with this new to us L130. My lawn duties have gotten much easier having it around.

The biggest advantage to having it is that I can't keep HER off it. She hated the craftsman, dogged me about getting a new mower for years and refused to help because we still had it. (I've got about 10 hours on it since we got it with 50 on the clock)

If she could have found a 'craftsman mower' voo-doo doll it would be full of pins!!!

My life is easier, I can run up to the dealer and get parts (Spindle) and not wait like I did with Sears having to wait for parts to be delivered.

I just don't want to ruin a good thing by trying to do more with it than what it was designed for and destroy my investment.

·
Super Moderator
16,471 Posts
No it will not be to much for a L130. That is what the Lawn tractors in general are designed to do winter duty as well besides mowing the Lawn.

·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
deere actually sells a snow blade for the L130, so you should be good if yours will fit up.

you can get wheel weights for the rears. they are specifically designed for lawn tractor rims instead of GT rims. local Sears used to have them in stock, though i never bought any from them.

My snow blade is GUARANTEED - NOT - to fit up. The mounting is going to be different.

I'll have to see if I can find detailed pictures of a snowblade and mount that would be compatible for the L130 and then try and adapt my blade to fit.

Shouldn't be too difficult for me.

·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
goto jdparts.deere.com and search the catalog. enter in L130, then look in teh sectional breakdown. it should list the snow blade and give you pictures of the mounts.
Looking at the parts from in the catalog It might be easier than I thought.

I'll need good pictures or a chance to eyeball it in person but I believe that it should be really easy to make my blade work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts