My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
More Liberty, Less Tyrany
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This L130 I got from a neighbor sat for over 2 years.

I 'revived' it and got it running again after the carb soleniod and fuel pump were 'frozen'. New plugs, air filter, an oil change and a can of 'seafoam' through it and it has been running OK.

It surges a bit when you start it for about 30 seconds and then calms down.

I've gotten awful fuel economy on this motor and noticed that it is missing
(couldn't hear it when the mower blades are engaged.) and it takes over 3 gallons to cut 2 acres.

Some have suggested that this is way too much fuel consumption for the amount of grass I cut.

Any thoughts as to where to start diagnosing this?.. I'm not as familiar with smaller engines like this. Old V8s are more my speed.

·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The choke is not stuck on is it. Do you notice any black smoke or fouling of the plugs.
Hmm..

No black smoke, Will pull plugs to check.

Can't confirm/deny stuck choke.

Thanks for the isight.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
are the Blades sharp , air in tires up to snuff , did you bend the float tabs when you had the bowl off to clean it. all the grease fittings to tractor and deck well greased. is the height of the cut good. all these come into consideration to fuel econimy. and is the ground flat or graded. ? check and clean points and have good blue spark. and don't try running at full throdel.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Always run at full throttle when working! You do not want it to overheat.

Yes, that Kohler seems thirsty. Part of that is due to the low ground speed of that model. When I had mine, I was always trying to push the pedal through the deck to try to get it to go faster.

·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Always run at full throttle when working! You do not want it to overheat.

Yes, that Kohler seems thirsty. Part of that is due to the low ground speed of that model. When I had mine, I was always trying to push the pedal through the deck to try to get it to go faster.

I've got some things to check, like the choke setting. I 'freed' the solenoid outside of the carb and never took the bowl apart so the float can't be out of adjustment, at least not by me anyway... Nor the previous owner. (He could barely fill the tank, sent it off to JD for every service it had)

All the carb cleaning I did with a can of carb cleaner and Seafoam, I never got into the carb nor removed it from the engine. It seems to run fine except for that miss. Took me a while to notice it too as you can't tell when the blades are moving. I try and sharpen them every 5th cut so I can say that except for the miss, and possbily needing/wanting to change the trans fluid (because it sat for 2 years) it is in great shape.

I looked at the LA Series at the store yesterday and the larger LA gas tank DOES look like from my measurements that it will fit in my L series but only if I can find a 4 gal tank used. Not forking over the bucks for a new one. Even if I do get the miss resolved having almost 2 more gallons in the tank would be wonderful.

The fan over the transaxle seems alsmost too small to offer any benefit but I do always run it at full throttle and make sure I blow out the grass after each time I mow to keep that fan clear .

·
Registered
54 Posts
The fan over the transaxle seems alsmost too small to offer any benefit but I do always run it at full throttle and make sure I blow out the grass after each time I mow to keep that fan clear .
Believe me, if it didn't do anything Deere or Tuff Torq wouldn't have it on there. They didn't even bother putting a reservoir or a drain plug on it.

·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
are the Blades sharp , air in tires up to snuff , did you bend the float tabs when you had the bowl off to clean it. all the grease fittings to tractor and deck well greased. is the height of the cut good. all these come into consideration to fuel econimy. and is the ground flat or graded. ? check and clean points and have good blue spark. and don't try running at full throdel.

I had a loose plug wire that wasn't seated very well. Looks like the end was enlarged somehow by being taken off improperly. I fixed that so both plug wires fit snugly and you can feel them 'snap' on.

I bought a set of gator blades, checked tire pressures, and dumped another 1/2 can of seafoam in the tank.

Last night I went out and mowed 1/3 of my 2 acres (all the time I had to mow) and used only about 1/8-1/4 of a full tank (2.1 gallons).

So all these adjustments appear to have made a difference. I can't tell if the engine is missing, The gators seem to cut better and the motor isn't sounding like it is working as hard.

Maybe it is my imagination or just 'wanting' it to be that way bit Im pleased of the results.

After a few weeks of mowing I'll see if I remain that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts