My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

First off, thanks for hosting the forum. I received this lawn mower as a hand-me-down from my in-laws, and I"m fairly certain they did this as punishment. Last year when I got this mower I wasn't getting any fuel to the engine, so I took apart the carb using pictures and instructions I found on this forum. Shockingly enough that seemed to work and it was up and running again. However, in the process I think something else went bad, because now I am having a throttle issue where the thing sounds like a jet engine as soon as I turn it on. If I engage the mower deck it slows down to the point where I can drive it with seemingly no issues, but then when I disengage the deck it runs so hot again that when I shut it down I get a nice backfire.

I am pretty limited in my mechanical skill, and although I was able to take the carb off and put it back together I am wondering if I did something while I was in there to cause this issue. I downloaded the service manual (again, off this site so thanks!) and looked at the pictures and headings for throttle adjustment and governor adjustment and everything seems to be in order.

So I guess, in summation:

- John Deere L120 with an Intek V-twin engine
- No issues starting the mower
- What seem like throttle issues cause the mower to run at way too high of an rpm
- Moving the throttle cable does nothing; the only way I can get the engine to lower its rpm is to open up the choke

I am probably going to take to a dealer unless I can figure out something else, but the lead time is 3 weeks and if it is something fairly simple I can probably manage to fix myself.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
It could be a governor lever adjustment issue at the governor shaft or an issue with one or both of the springs. You should ask in the small engine repair forum. Those guys can give you the proper governor lever adj procedure.

·
L120/G110 Hybridizer
1,164 Posts
You either forgot to reconnect the governor link or you misconnected the link. The pictures and manual are on this forum at:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=23974

Look around page 114. It has pictures and shows where the two springs go. Make sure you're looking at the correct engine - all four L series are in there. If you can't make it out, ask and I'll take a picture of mine.

HTH,
Paul

P.S. Don't attempt to adjust the governor linkage. It was probably set up fine before, it just needs to be reconnected correctly.

DON'T continue to run without the governor or you'll blow the engine. The default position on this engine is wide open throttle even at the slow idle lever position.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts