My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just picked up a L120. I have read there have been issues with the PTO clutches and also mention of the wire harness on these. I am hoping maybe somebody can help to troubleshoot mine. The tractor has been sitting for several years unused. I have it running now but the previous owner stated she had PTO.

It is strange to me what it is doing. I mowed my front yard on the "5" setting height (of 6 total) and had zero issues with the PTO. I went to mow my back yard and lowered it down to "3" as it is a different kind of grass. When I lowered the deck the blade speed lowered considerably. Raise it back up and it instantly goes back to full speed. It does this without any load on it (no grass). Does this sound like a PTO clutch issue or a wiring harness issue (or maybe something else)? Any ideas on troubleshooting?

Thanks!

·
L120/G110 Hybridizer
1,181 Posts
Hmm... I think I'd be checking the belt routing, idler pulley and spring first. Sounds more like the angle of the drive belt from the PTO is effecting the decks performance. May also just be a highly worn belt that's stretched to the max. If you go from the highest position (marked "4" on my L120) down to the lowest setting (marked "1") does the blade speed decrease linearly?

Paul

·
Super Moderator
36,647 Posts
How tight is the machine to deck belt. Might just need adjusting, check your manual, but I agree with ryanpf that as your changing your height the belt may be climbing a pulley thereby reducing the speed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that makes sense. I will check it out sometime this weekend. Will probably just go ahead and pickup a new belt for it today. It has been a project so far with it sitting for so long!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys were right...simple issue. I just assumed PTO b/c that is what the previous owner had troubles with. The tensioner is frozen up from sitting and lowering the deck loosened the belt. Going to pull the deck and service it this afternoon and fix the tensioner.

Now just need to get the "stumble" fixed when the engine is under load. I soaked the carb overnight in cleaner and blew it all out with compressed air and it is much better than it was but I think I have another issue. Will pick up fuel filter later today and see if that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts