My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I have to replace a spindle on my L120's 48" deck, and have two questions:

1. Anyone know the socket size for the nut on top of the pulley? Naturally the socket set I have doesn't have one large enough.

2. Will the pulley come off easily once the nut is removed, or will I need to get a pulley puller?

Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I believe the nut was 7/8", but it's been a long time since I replaced the spindles on our L110.

The nut is not easy to remove, even with the right socket. As I recall, my son and I used a chain link fence post as a breaker bar. The pulley came off easily after the nut was removed.

Removing the spindle bolts is another matter. The bolts are self-tapping and extend under the deck where they are subject to dirt and moisture. This part under the deck rusts, and this makes it very difficult to remove them. I broke about half the bolts while trying to remove them.

When you replace the spindles, use stainless steel bolts and stainless steel nylock nuts. Drill out the holes in the spindles where the new self-tapping bolts are supposed to go so the substitute bolts will fit. I believe I used 5/16" bolts. This is easy to do since the spindle body is aluminum.

The replacement spindles that Deere sells normally have grease fittings. Why didn't they see fit to put fittings in the original spindles?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I recall using a 22mm socket and an Ingersoll Rand 2135 impant the last time I removed a spindle pulley. When going back together that big nut takes 90 lb.ft. of torque.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts