My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to mow the lawn tonight and got half way through and had to stop the mower to move a hose in the yard. Rather than letting the mower run in place, I turned it off. When I jumped back on, I couldn't start the mower again. The lights came on, but it would not turn over. I had to hook the battery up to the battery charger in order to get it to start up. Finished the yard and parked it in the driveway to sweep off the grass and when I went to start it again to pull it into the garage, nothing again. I have only owned this mower for one week, so I don't know if I have a weird battery or if the charging system is causing the problems. I know the battery was charged, as I had it on the battery charger for a day this week so that I knew it was charged. Any ideas?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Have the battery load tested. If it has a dead or weak cell, it will act strange, or, not act at all. How old is the battery? Is the battery the right size and spec for the tractor? If the battery checks OK, regardless, check all connections at the PTO switch, ignition switch, battery, starter, solenoid. Make sure they are clean and free of rust and dirt. Deere makes a solenoid boost kit. Not sure if it will work with your tractor, but your Deere dealer should be able to tell you. The boost kit has a solenoid and provides direct current to the solenoid. After doing all the checks, if that does not resolve the problem. I'd look into the boost kit. This all assumes the charging system is working properly. Check the voltage coming off the regulator at full idle. If it's less than 13.5 volts DC, you may a charging system problem. However, if you did, I think you'd be having other issues, which your post did not indicate.

·
Super Moderator
29,566 Posts
doesn't the L120 have a Briggs OHV engine? if it tries to start but can only tunr over 1 time, then stops, it may just be the valves out of adjustment. a strong battery can sometimes over come this until they get too far out. if it never even attempts to turn over, then it could be the battery or a safety.

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
doesn't the L120 have a Briggs OHV engine? if it tries to start but can only tunr over 1 time, then stops, it may just be the valves out of adjustment. a strong battery can sometimes over come this until they get too far out. if it never even attempts to turn over, then it could be the battery or a safety.
It does have the Briggs engine. It does try to start, but the top of the motor only spins once or twice. If you try it again, it is like it doesn't have as much power as it had the time before and maybe spins just once or not at all. Once the battery is charged up, it started fine.

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was sitting in the driveway talking to the wife yesterday and she did mention that she did not have the throttle wide open when she was mowing on Saturday. I thought that I had read somewhere that you need to have the throttle wide open in order for mower to charge the battery correctly. Would that have anything to do with it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts