My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 4 year old L110 JD Lawn Tractor. We have taken great care to follow the maintenance schedule. A few days ago I started her up as usual and pulled out of my shed. She felt sluggish and tentitive driving without mowing. I then started mowing. As soon as I got to a small hill in my yard I heard a loud pop... and then stepping on gas forward or reverse the tractor would not move. Please help...I am hoping it is just a belt or something reletively minor, as I bough my JD because I thought it was built to last. I just hope is is not the tranny. I did my 2 acres with a push mower yesterday and it took all day. I don't want to have to do that again. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
921 Posts
Was it the first mow of the season? Did you look to see if the belt is still on and in one piece?

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
:Welcome1:

try putting it in freewheel mode and see if it will move easily. at least you can get it back to the garage then to work work on it. then check to see if the belt came off/broke. in either case, get a new belt.

if it won't move in free wheel mode, either the brake is stuck or there is major internal damage to the tranny.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advise. I willl try that. It was the 3rd or 4th mow. Had no problems until that day. I will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again,

It moves fine in freewheel mode. It appears the belt has just fallen off. It is in tact and not frayed at all. Any advise on how to put it back on?

Thank you

·
Registered
203 Posts
first you should set the park brake that it will be in the position to not have tension on the belt. you'll probably need to remove the 2 idlers pulleys that are on the clutch. I would take a look around to make sure you done have any broken or missing belt guides as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2002 L110 that now has almost 650 hours on it. I probably have already made most of the repairs that owners of this model will encounter as the hours go by. That being said, it has been a good lawn tractor; and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

There have been two problems I have encountered with the drive belt system.

First, I am assuming that the belt is not broken. My belt did - at about 300 hours. Replacing the belt is not easy because the steering shaft is in your way.

The other two problems involve an idler and a tension spring. The idler is almost directly below where your right foot rests. It is made of plastic. On my mower, the ridges that hold the belt in place had worn down. This allowed the belt to slip off. This removes the belt tension, and the mower will not move.

The tension spring attaches to the idler arm. On my mower, the tip of the spring which fits into the idler arm broke off. This released the tension on the belt, and go power was lost. I was able to bend the broken end enough to get the spring back in the hole in the idler arm. This was not easy because you are dealing with spring steel. However, this was about two years ago; and it is still working. I did buy a new spring and am waiting for the old one to break again.

I suspect your problem would lie with one of these two things.

At one time, this forum had a full maintenance manual for the L110. I downloaded it several years ago and have used it often. It has a diagram of the drive system and shows all the pulleys and idlers. In just a cursory look now, I can't seem to find it. Perhaps it has been removed.

·
Administrator
11,804 Posts
...At one time, this forum had a full maintenance manual for the L110. I downloaded it several years ago and have used it often. It has a diagram of the drive system and shows all the pulleys and idlers. In just a cursory look now, I can't seem to find it. Perhaps it has been removed.
:fing32: Found it: (L100, L110, L120, L130)

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=23974

1 - 8 of 8 Posts