My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have a L1OOO that the starter cranks but I have no spark.
I have replaced the ignition switch.
I also tried putting a jumper across the white wires on the brake and attachment safety switches, but still no spark.
Have also tried jumping the seat switch. No luck. I'm stumped.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Banned
2 Posts
when you jump the safety's you are grounding them that grounds the coil also ...And it will not start ....Myself i would check with out jumping them ...If it still wont start then i would look at the coil

·
Registered
246 Posts
Take the shroud off and remove the coil ground wire, put the spark plug on the block and crank it, you should get spark, if not its a bad coil if you do then its probably one of the switches. The wire cant be grounded, or it wont spark.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have tried them jumped and connected and every combination I could come up with. I guess I'll have to figure out where the coil is located.
I kind of had tunnel vision thinking that it had to be a switch gone bad.
Thanks for the input.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
It runs on the flywheel. Take the engine tins off, follow the plug wire and you will find it. Check the flywheel key too-

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
There are probably over 1000 different Sears tractors that start with 917!
It's the rest of the numbers that counts the most.

There are numerous things that can cause no spark.
Provide the rest of the 917 number and we can at least look at the proper schematic if it's available.

WHITE wires are typically used in the starter cranking circuit and have no effect on spark.
The OTHER pair of wires (Green or Black???) are typically used in grounding the ignition kill circuit.

Seat switches can be configured to act OPPOSITE of what you might expect. That's why a schematic is useful.
Chances are. your seat switch is normally closed, which grounds the kill wire. Simply disconnecting the plug doesn't disable it because the plug will have a shorting connector.
Again, without the schematic, about the only thing you can do is disconnect the kill wire at the coil and see if you have a bad coil. otherwise, you are simply guessing about the type of circuit you have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Model tractor is Model #917.271821
Engine # 461707,type 0147-E1

I tested the coil as suggested and saw no spark from the plug, so it looks like a bad coil.

The name and part number I came up with is:
Part # 394891 Armature- Magneto

I guess I'll pick one of these up (not cheap-$50) and let you know if it does the trick

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Try looking up the magneto at NAPA. They may have one on the shelf, or overnite delivery. Might not be as expensive, either.

Glad Bill chimed in. His presence has a calming effect to the most serious problems.

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
Sounds like a bad coil to me!

The manual is available from searspartsdirect.com..
Looking at the schematic---- (page33 of 60)

Anything that GROUNDS the "M" terminal of the key switch also grounds the kill wire and prevents spark.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Problem Solved!
I picked up a coil from NAPA today. Couldn't wait to get one shipped. I did bookmark that web store for future reference.

Installed it and mowed for an hour tonight and it ran like a top.

Thanks to all for your help :thanku:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts