My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We removed the plastic cap, E-ring and washer. The wheel slides forward but gets caught on the end of the axle, past the E-ring groove. The end of the axle seems to be flared to a larger diameter than the rest of the axle. Both front wheels have the problem. We do not see this situation on various youtube videos and it is not obvious to us how it could have come about in normal use. Our L100 tractor dates back to 2005. Suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,256 Posts
Slide wheel back and use some sandpaper around and around the spindle end. Then wheel should slide off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
The axle would only be wider at the end of it was mushroomed from hammering on it.

I believe those wheels have plastic bushings on them, if so, they could be melted out with a torch and then replaced after the wheels are off. The spindles also need to be ground down at the end so they are the correct diameter again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your thoughts. I figured it out. The spindle ends are not mushroomed or flared at all. It's the spindle shaft that is worn down! I measured the wear at 0.053" on the diameter -- not surprising given the age of the tractor I suppose. I really should replace the spindles and wheels, but maybe will just install the new tires I have already bought to see if I can get another summer or two out of the tractor. I will just bevel the E-ring sides of the spindle ends a tiny bit so I can coax the wheels off. Once again, thank you very much.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I will just bevel the E-ring sides of the spindle ends a tiny bit so I can coax the wheels off
While you can do that, you shouldn't need to. It is likely that not just the shaft got worn. The bushing is probably also worn. You should be able to jiggle the wheel until you get it into the position that let's it come off. You can probably get new wheels that have bearings instead of bushings. But, it seems you got a lot of use with the existing bushings. I doubt I would spend the money for new spindles.

·
Registered
2008 John Deere LA135
507 Posts
Yes, and if it is the same setup as my LA135, you can replace the bushings in the wheel with bearings. Couple that with new spindles, and you'll likely never need spindles again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts