My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I recalled reading a thread here some time ago on proper winterization techniques for the Gravely engined two-wheelers, but could not locate. Can anyone point me to the old thread or summarize? Would think this should be a "sticky", no?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
I don't know of a specific thread, but I make sure I've changed to clean oil, 10W40, and just give it a once over. Check the ignition, make sure the controls are free and lubed and stuff. I try to think of things I wouldn't want to deal with while out in the snow :)

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
One thing I do with my L and C machines is drain the tanks and remove the plug from the bottom of the carb. I leave the plug and cap off of the tractors to let them dry out. But don't leave them open to long. Something will move in and make a home in there if you do. I'll spray some oil in the cylinder if I'm sure the machine will set all winter or longer.

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
DLV did you mean winterize like get them ready to run, or putting them up for the winter?

I usually have reasons to run mine :)

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
All of them? Maybe you don't have enough! :fing32:
Probably not :) Last year I had 3 runners, and found reasons for all of them; one with a blower, one with a plow, and one hauling a cart. This year I've got 4 running Ls. But if I use the 812 for the snowblowing tasks, I may need one fewer L. Unless I keep the 210 on one of the Ls and use that for places I can't get into with the 812.... Decisions decisions.......

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
Probably not :) Last year I had 3 runners, and found reasons for all of them; one with a blower, one with a plow, and one hauling a cart. This year I've got 4 running Ls. But if I use the 812 for the snowblowing tasks, I may need one fewer L. Unless I keep the 210 on one of the Ls and use that for places I can't get into with the 812.... Decisions decisions.......
That's what I do. My 8199KT handles the driveway and my L8 with the 210 cuts the paths around the back of the house and down to the shop.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was referring to proper storage of the machine. Basically what I was planning to do was to change the oil, disconnect the battery cables, remove the plug, add a cap full of oil to the cylinder, reinstall plug and leave disconnected. turn it by hand. Should do it? Missing anything?

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
I was referring to proper storage of the machine. Basically what I was planning to do was to change the oil, disconnect the battery cables, remove the plug, add a cap full of oil to the cylinder, reinstall plug and leave disconnected. turn it by hand. Should do it? Missing anything?
Make sure you turn the engine so that it's coming up to the compression stroke.That will assure the exhaust valve is closed. If it's left open, it can rust and cause a compression loss. If you store it in a damp location, wrap the muffler with something that is moisture tight.

I all ways try to dry the gas out of the carb. I don't trust ethanol. If it's a tractor I might use, I will add stabil to the gas and run it enough to ensure it gets to the carb.

Remember, keep that exhaust valve closed.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Make sure you turn the engine so that it's coming up to the compression stroke.That will assure the exhaust valve is closed. If it's left open, it can rust and cause a compression loss. If you store it in a damp location, wrap the muffler with something that is moisture tight.

I all ways try to dry the gas out of the carb. I don't trust ethanol. If it's a tractor I might use, I will add stabil to the gas and run it enough to ensure it gets to the carb.

Remember, keep that exhaust valve closed.
I second the exhaust valve. I watched my dad mess up the valves on a brand new cylinder (less than 25 hrs) by parking it out side with out checking which stroke the motor was on. Takes 15 seconds if you do it... lots of time if you don't!

I'm still baffled why you won't be using all of the Gravely's for the winter??

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far unsuccessful in tracking down a snowblower for it. I have a blade, but prefer to run a rider with dozer blade instead (steep slope to driveway and riding is safer than walking it). Was planning to just run the C8 only or both if I found a snowblower. Still on the fence, but want to plan for putting the C8 away for the winter if a blower can't be had.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts