My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have gas slowly dripping out of the bottom of the tank.

A few questions

1. what can I "wrap" around the threads of the nipple gong to the tank
  2. what can I use or where can I get a gasket for the top of the glass bowl?
  3. If it is the stopcock, is that fixable, and how?
Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
So I have gas slowly dripping out of the bottom of the tank.

A few questions

1. what can I "wrap" around the threads of the nipple gong to the tank

You can use Teflon tape, they make a special pipe dope for gasoline,"gasoila" is the brand I am familiar with. But Teflon tape should do it.
  2. what can I use or where can I get a gasket for the top of the glass bowl?

If you have any gasket material, you can make one with an exacto knife, it is just a ring, otherwise a new sediment bowl can be gotten at tractor supply.
  3. If it is the stopcock, is that fixable, and how?

Leaking around the stopcock? Should be a gland nut you may be able to tighten. I have used an o-ring under the gland nut, or you can use Teflon for that too. They have Teflon rope or string for faucet repair so that might work for you.
Thanks
Sorry I didn't know how to bold my answers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
GT Parts has gaskets for the glass bowels.
Are the threads NG in the tank? If still good just use good pipe dope on the nipple and screw it in tight. If NG, then use epoxy (best you can find that is fuel proof) and install new nipple.
GT also has new filter bowels w/ valves.
Also check TSC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I didn't know how to bold my answers.
I have used rubber from tire patch kits or inner tubes to make sediment bowl gaskets..
Cork works well also..
GT Parts has gaskets for the glass bowels.
Are the threads NG in the tank? If still good just use good pipe dope on the nipple and screw it in tight. If NG, then use epoxy (best you can find that is fuel proof) and install new nipple.
GT also has new filter bowels w/ valves.
Also check TSC.

thank you all, that should get me through the job!

·
Registered
105 Posts
The needle shut off on my sediment bowl was leaking around the nut. Tightening did no good. It still dripped even though I couldn't turn the T handle.
I backed the nut off and put 4 or 5 wraps around the needle shaft with Teflon tape then tightened the nut back up. Just tightened until I could just turn the T handle in and out. The leak was gone. It's been that way for a couple months and several uses now with no drips at all.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The glass bowl filter/petcocks are nice for a restoration. But they are a PINA if you really want to work your tractor. Replace it with a 1/8 NPT x 1/4" angle style petcock and add an inline large clear plastic 1/4" filter. The Fram # is GF1 OR GF2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts