My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to figure out about what year the parts L I just picked up was based on it having wooden handles and the large diameter oil bath air cleaner. Has anyone compiled a list of changes for specific years that would help date tractors? I know Chip Old has a bunch of dealer bulletins with that information. If I get some free time here, I could probably list changes by year. However, if someone already has something like that available, I'd appreciate a link to it :D

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
I was trying to figure out about what year the parts L I just picked up was based on it having wooden handles and the large diameter oil bath air cleaner. Has anyone compiled a list of changes for specific years that would help date tractors? I know Chip Old has a bunch of dealer bulletins with that information. If I get some free time here, I could probably list changes by year. However, if someone already has something like that available, I'd appreciate a link to it :D
Chip and I have both done some work on that. We are nowhere near ready to publish them though. Mine is currently in spreadsheet form and is 18 columns wide by 44 rows high. And will get column 19 before the week is over.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chip and I have both done some work on that. We are nowhere near ready to publish them though. Mine is currently in spreadsheet form and is 18 columns wide by 44 rows high. And will get column 19 before the week is over.
That's a rather large spreadsheet. I have to admit that I didn't think it would be that complex, but now that I think about all of the minor changes that aren't easily seen it makes sense. The Gravely community will be even more indebted to you :fing32:

If I may ask, when did the switch to the large diameter oil bath air cleaner occur? It had to have happened after '52, but that's all I know.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
I don't have that in the database yet. I've only gotten it down to oil bath, double guard, and dry filters.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
There was one change that happened that was rather subtle and i have no idea when it happened. The transmission drain bolt was changed to a self locking type. Then there was the addition of the nylon tab/washer to help seal the drain bolt.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From searching around, I think the change in oil bath air cleaners occurred either in '53 or '54. Anybody have a mostly original '53 model that could provide testimony so we could at least narrow down the year?

·
RIP Chip, "Gravely Guru, Gone But Not Forgotten"
27 Posts
From searching around, I think the change in oil bath air cleaners occurred either in '53 or '54. Anybody have a mostly original '53 model that could provide testimony so we could at least narrow down the year?
Gravely announced the switch from the small-diameter Donaldson oil bath air cleaner to the larger diameter United oil bath air cleaner in Bulletin #480, dated June 12, 1953. The reasons given for the change was that (1) the Donaldson filter didn't have enough capacity so could starve the engine at higher RPMs, and (2) at high RMPs the engine could suck the oil out of the air cleaner.

At the same time, the vent opening was eliminated from the cast U-bend that transitioned from the carb's air intake to the flexible metal hose leading to the air cleaner.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Gravely announced the switch from the small-diameter Donaldson oil bath air cleaner to the larger diameter United oil bath air cleaner in Bulletin #480, dated June 12, 1953. The reasons given for the change was that (1) the Donaldson filter didn't have enough capacity so could starve the engine at higher RPMs, and (2) at high RMPs the engine could suck the oil out of the air cleaner.

At the same time, the vent opening was eliminated from the cast U-bend that transitioned from the carb's air intake to the flexible metal hose leading to the air cleaner.
Thanks Chip. I've added the filter change to the spreadsheet.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Year HP Model Carb Mag Intake Runner Air Cleaner Head Oil Filter Fan Fan Shroud Axle Axle HSG Hubs Crankcase Hood Oil Pump RIM

Are what I've started on.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thank you! That means my parts tractor is most likely a '53 or '54. I'd heard about the problems with the small filter, but I'll probably leave that on my '52 for originality's sake. I don't think I'll want to bring the revs up too high anyway. If it is a problem, I'll swap them. Now I have to decide what attachment to mount on the '52 when it's finished in addition to the C-spring sulky :fing32:

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Thank you! That means my parts tractor is most likely a '53 or '54. I'd heard about the problems with the small filter, but I'll probably leave that on my '52 for originality's sake. I don't think I'll want to bring the revs up too high anyway. If it is a problem, I'll swap them. Now I have to decide what attachment to mount on the '52 when it's finished in addition to the C-spring sulky :fing32:
A reel mower or a LH 30" Model 52 would look good there.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A reel mower or a LH 30" Model 52 would look good there.
I have both, but the reel mower needs a lot of work. At least the Model 52 spins. My 1952 instruction/parts manual doesn't list the brush mower yet though... it must have been introduced a year or two later? Not that I need to be a stickler :D

I could paint up the toolholder that came with it. That might be the easiest thing to do in the short-term. It would probably be a decent cultivating tractor. The sickle bar would be a bit more work. Ah, better fix them all...

On a side note, I'm surprised at how many tractors had hitches. All 4 of my machines have them, even the '50s tractors.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
I have both, but the reel mower needs a lot of work. At least the Model 52 spins. My 1952 instruction/parts manual doesn't list the brush mower yet though... it must have been introduced a year or two later? Not that I need to be a stickler :D

I could paint up the toolholder that came with it. That might be the easiest thing to do in the short-term. It would probably be a decent cultivating tractor. The sickle bar would be a bit more work. Ah, better fix them all...

On a side note, I'm surprised at how many tractors had hitches. All 4 of my machines have them, even the '50s tractors.
Model 52 got its name from the year it was first made. So it might have been made after your manual was printed. Should be a date on the back bottom of it or an MS-## on the front lower.

Most of mine have them after the fact. The 40 and 41 do not.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Model 52 got its name from the year it was first made. So it might have been made after your manual was printed. Should be a date on the back bottom of it or an MS-## on the front lower.

Most of mine have them after the fact. The 40 and 41 do not.
I don't have the manual here with me, but I believe it was printed earlier in the year. Considering all the other attachments that came with the tractor, I feel like the original owner definitely would have purchased the rotary mower if it had been available. Thanks for explaining - the 5X model numbering makes sense since I came across a scan that mentions models 52-57.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
I don't have the manual here with me, but I believe it was printed earlier in the year. Considering all the other attachments that came with the tractor, I feel like the original owner definitely would have purchased the rotary mower if it had been available. Thanks for explaining - the 5X model numbering makes sense since I came across a scan that mentions models 52-57.
52 to 57 were LH mowers. 58 and 58A were righthand decks. Putting a later new deck on an earlier tractor happened also as people bought items over the years. Putting an early deck on a later tractor meant they had an earlier one at some time, bought/were given a used one, or got a NOS one.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Let's see if this works. A work in progress please forgive any errors.

HTML:
Year	HP	Model	DofC, SN of C	Carb	Mag	Intake Runner	Air Cleaner	 Head	Oil Filter	Fan	Fan Shroud	Axle	Axle HSG	Hubs	Crankcase	Hood	Oil Pump	RIM	Exh Manifold	Muffler	
1935		L										Hex						12 Screw			
1936		L										Hex						12 Screw			
1937		L										Taper		Solid Small				12 Screw			
1938		L										Taper		Solid Small				12 Screw			
1939		L										Taper		Solid Small				12 Screw			
1940	5	L		CI R	E-S	Steel tube	Small Oil Bath	Slant Plug	Canister	Steel	Pie	Taper		Solid Small	Cast AL	Slant bent	LV	12 Screw	Cast Iron, bolts	Tomato Can	
1941	5	L		CI R	E-S	Steel tube	Small Oil Bath	Slant Plug	Canister	Steel	Pie	Taper		Solid	Cast AL	Slant bent	LV	6-Bolt	Cast Iron, bolts	Tomato Can	
1942	5	L		CI R	Bendix	Steel tube	Small Oil Bath	Slant Plug	Canister	Steel	Pie	Taper		Solid	Cast AL	Slant bent	LV	6-Bolt	Cast Iron, bolts	Tomato Can	
1943	5	L		CI R	FM	Steel tube	Small Oil Bath	Slant Plug	Canister	Steel	Pie	Taper		Solid	Cast Iron	Slant bent	LV	Steel wheel	Cast Iron, bolts	Tomato Can	
1944	5	L		CI R		Steel tube	Small Oil Bath	Slant Plug	Canister	Steel	Pie	Taper		Solid	Cast AL	Slant bent	LV	6-Bolt	Cast Iron, bolts	Tomato Can	
1945	5	L				Steel tube	Small Oil Bath	Slant Plug	Canister	Steel	Pie	Taper			Cast AL	Slant bent	LV	6-Bolt	Cast Iron, bolts	Tomato Can	
1946	5	L				Steel tube	Small Oil Bath	Slant Plug	Canister	Steel	Pie	Taper			Cast AL	Slant bent	LV	6-Bolt	Cast Iron, bolts	Tomato Can	
1947	5	L				Steel tube	Small Oil Bath	Slant Plug	Canister	Steel	Pie	Taper			Cast AL	Slant bent	LV	6-Bolt	Cast Iron, bolts	Tomato Can	
1948	5	L				Steel tube	Small Oil Bath	Slant Plug	Canister	Steel	Pie	Taper			Cast AL	Slant bent	LV	6-Bolt	Cast Iron, bolts	Tomato Can	
1949	5	L					Small Oil Bath	Slant Plug	Canister	Steel	Pie	Taper			Cast AL	Slant bent	LV	6-Bolt	Cast Iron, bolts	Tomato Can	
1950	5	L					Small Oil Bath	Slant Plug	Canister	Steel	Pie	Taper			Cast AL	Slant bent	LV	6-Bolt	Cast Iron, bolts	Tomato Can	
1951	5	L			Edison	Flex Steel Tube	Small Oil Bath	Slant Plug	Canister	Steel	Pie	Taper			Cast AL	Slant bent	LV	6-Bolt	Cast Iron, bolts	Tomato Can	
1952	5	L	7/52 71900		Edison	Flex Steel Tube	Small Oil Bath	Slant Plug	Canister	Steel	Pie	Taper			Cast,INJ M AL	Slant bent	LV	6-Bolt			
1953	5	L	06/01/53		Edison	Flex Steel Tube	SM OB, L OB	Slant Plug	Canister	Steel	Pie	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Slant bent	LV	6-Bolt			
1954	5	L					Large oil bath	Slant Plug	Canister	Steel	Pie	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Slant bent	LV	6-Bolt			
1955	5	L, LI, LS					Large oil bath	Slant Plug	Canister	Steel	Pie	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Slant bent	LV	6-Bolt			
1956	5	L, LI, LS		CI R	Wico		Large oil bath	Slant Plug	Canister	Steel	Pie	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Slant bent	LV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot	
1957	5	L, LI, LS				Rubber	Large oil bath	Slant Plug	Canister	Steel	Pie	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Slant bent	LV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot	
1958	5, 6.6	L, LI, LS	B-7620			Rubber	Large oil bath	Slant Plug	Canister,SO	Steel	Pie	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Slant bent	LV,HV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot	
1959	6.6	L, LI, LS				Rubber	Large oil bath	Slant Plug	Spin On	Steel	Pie	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Slant bent	HV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot	
1960	6.6	L, LI, LS				Rubber	Large oil bath	Slant Plug	Spin On	AL 4-blade	Slotted	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Slant bent	HV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot	
1961	6.6	L, LI, LS				Rubber	Large oil bath	Slant Plug	Spin On	AL 4-blade	Slotted	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Slant bent	HV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot	
1962	6.6	L, LI, LS				Rubber		Slant Plug	Spin On	AL 4-blade	Slotted	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Slant bent	HV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot	
1963	6.6	L, LI, LS, L8				Rubber	Double Guard	Slant Plug	Spin On	AL 4-blade	Slotted	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Stamped	HV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot	
1964	6.6	L, LI, LS, L8				Rubber		Slant Plug	Spin On	AL 4-blade	Slotted	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Stamped	HV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot	
1965	6.6	L, LI, LS, L8				Rubber		Slant Plug	Spin On	AL 4-blade	Slotted	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Stamped	HV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot	
1966	6.6,7.6	L/C, I, S, 8				Rubber	Dry Paper	SP/VP	Spin On	AL 4-blade	Slotted	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Stamped	HV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot	
1967	7.6	C, CI, CS, C8				Rubber	Dry Paper	Vertical Plug	Spin On	AL 4-blade	Slotted	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Stamped	HV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot	
1968	7.6	C, CI, CS, C8				Rubber	Dry Paper	Vertical Plug	Spin On	AL 4-blade	Slotted	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Stamped	HV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot	
1969	7.6	C, CI, CS, C8				Rubber	Dry Paper	Vertical Plug	Spin On	AL 4-blade	Slotted	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Stamped	HV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot	
1970	7.6	C, CI, CS, C8				Rubber	Dry Paper	Vertical Plug	Spin On	AL 4-blade	Slotted	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Stamped	HV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot	
1971	7.6	C, CI, CS, C8				Rubber	Dry Paper	Vertical Plug	Spin On	AL 4-blade	Slotted	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Stamped	HV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot	
1972	7.6	C, CI, CS, C8				Rubber	Dry Paper	Vertical Plug	Spin On	AL 4-blade	Slotted	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Stamped	HV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot	
1973	7.6	C, CI, CS, C8				Rubber	Dry Paper	Vertical Plug	Spin On	AL 4-blade	Slotted	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Stamped	HV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot	
1974	7.6	C, CI, CS, C8				Rubber	Dry Paper	Vertical Plug	Spin On	AL 4-blade	Slotted	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Stamped	HV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot	
1975	7.6	C, CI, CS, C8				Rubber	Dry Paper	Vertical Plug	Spin On	AL 4-blade	Slotted	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Stamped	HV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot	
1976	7.6	C, CI, CS, C8				Rubber	Dry Paper	Vertical Plug	Spin On	AL 4-blade	Slotted	Taper			INJ Molded AL	Stamped	HV	6-Bolt	Cast Fe  thread	Pepperpot
Coding isn't perfect in conversion to HTML so there are many misaligned listings but it is correct in .odf. :(

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting. I wonder if my '52 originally had an Edison and the original owner upgraded it to a Wico? I imagine that would have been a fairly common update.

Nice job. Spreadsheets drive me nuts but they do have their uses. This one will be extremely useful for identifying tractors - one comprehensive source will save a lot of time.

File formats are a pain in the rear. I always convert documents to PDF if I plan on viewing/printing them on other computers. Computers...

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if my '52 originally had an Edison and the original owner upgraded it to a Wico? I imagine that would have been a fairly common update.

Nice job. Spreadsheets drive me nuts but they do have their uses. This one will be extremely useful for identifying tractors - one comprehensive source will save a lot of time.

File formats are a pain in the rear. I always convert documents to PDF if I plan on viewing/printing them on other computers. Computers...
The manuals for 51, 52, 53 all showed the ones marked as Edison. Interesting thing is, that even though it says that on the cap, it actually was made by WICO. WICO bought them out in 1948 or thereabouts. Many mags were changed over through the years with atleast 6 different ones being used.

Edison-Splitdorf
Bendix-Scintilla
Edison ( made by WICO )
Fairbanks-Morse
WICO
Eisemann

Most common ones are the F-M and WICOs.

One of my 1941s still has the E-S as does the 1940. The 42 has a Bendix-Scintilla. The 43 has a FM as does the 45. My 51 has the Edison. Various others have WICOs and FMs. Still looking for an Eisemann.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really need to check the instruction and parts manual that came with the tractor. It has an insert (attached with the original staples that hold the manual together) that has the magneto parts breakdown for the Wico. I bet the manual is a later printing; possibly right after the switch to a "real" Wico occurred. Maybe '54? I'll look at it over Thanksgiving break. It's the same format as the '51 manual on Chip's site but the '55 manual is completely different. I'm far more curious about this than I probably should be...

An Eisemann on a Gravely would be a neat find for sure.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts