My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the advantages and disadvantages to haveing a governer on the L?
How big of a difference does it make when you are using the tractor?
Which implements do you see the biggest gain in when using it with the governer?

I see them on Ebay about every week. They bring anywhere from $25-120. The new ones are $350.

Thanks

·
Banned
131 Posts
A governor automatically adjusts the throttle butterfly based on load induced changes in RPM, attempting to match motor output to load. The hand throttle merely selects the RPM range you want, then the governor tries to maintain that RPM. Without a governor its much easier to stall, so governors were a great advantage on a pull start GRAVELY.

Its not so much "Which impliments" as it is which tasks demonstrate "the biggest gain...when using...the governer". If all work to be done is Even Steven, like mowing a flat manicured lawn, a governor is little advantage. If the task combines heavy load in some spots & light load others the advantages of a governor quickly become apparent. Using a governor means that hills & variations in how rank grass grows in spots seldom require manually changing throttle position. Only disadvantages I'm aware of are minor, cost & maintenance.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
I can't think of any disadvantages. The advantage, obviously, is that the rpm stays more or less where you put it. Under varying load, that can be a big deal.

I would think hard about running one without a governor. All of mine have them. If you can get one for 25, I'd jump on it. I think I paid 65 for one on ebay last year.

The thing to watch out for running without a gov is when the load drops off and it revs up. It can really take off on you. I had one out in the woods last year, and a stick got stuck in the linkage, essentially nailing the throttle mostly open. It was scary how fast it started to run away.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
I vote for the governor, espescially if you can find a Hoof as opposed to a Pierce (more common). Keep in mind that the Gravely engine is supposed to run at 26-2800 rpm maximum.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.
It will probably be a little while before I attempt to get the govenor. If have spent my "allowance" this month for the gravely.

I have the parts for the sickle mower on its way, along with Lug tires, and the heat shields for the engine.

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
You can definitely use your tractor w/o a governor - Gravely probably sold thousands of machines w/o 'em - but you'll have to pay significantly greater attention to your terrain and be much faster on the throttle than you would have to be with an installed governor. The governor will permit to focus on other things more often (such as the people passing by staring at you and that behemoth you're operating) and will likely cause less stress to your engine - as the governor can react faster to speed/power needs than your left thumb can.

·
Registered
163 Posts
governor is supposed to keep the engine from over revving, and maintain a constant throttle setting under load, but the torque monster Gravely engine can work all of my attachments at idle so you don't need lots of rpms. I don't have to adjust my throttle that much with the brush deck for example because I work in the lower rpm range all the time. I wouldn't spend money on a governor, but it is a good safety device and good also if you don't like playing with the throttle all the time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I recently installed a Hoof gov onto my C, and all I can say is WOW! Properly set up working governors on the C makes all the difference in the world. So far I'm using the 30" rotary clearing up to 2" (or so) saplings and heavy brush, grading my shale driveway with the "snow" blade, and clearing more brush with the sickle bar, and my C rarely misses a beat or varies much in rpm. Stalls are not an issue anymore, as well as over revs. And as mentioned above, operator workload is decreased dramatically (as far as babysitting the throttle). I got my gov off of a parts tractor C8 (motor was done) that was a year younger than my working C. I also upgraded mine with the Swiftamatic diff.

I'd say if you have the opportunity to score a gov, do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts