My Tractor Forum banner

L Model Fuel Line

1K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Gerrard 
#1 ·
I actually went out today and was gonna try to get my L Model started but have to put fuel line on and filter, shut- off valve and the like but as usual got stopped in my tracks. Anyhow I got out this shut-off valve " with filter " and couldnt figure out just where that fragile little stick-filter went, I hope it doesn't replace the one that actually goes inside if the tank at the bottom because I dont like the thought of removing the one thats on it because it looks like it would be a problem and I certainly dont need one of those at this point of the game.
Thanks for listening ( if you did lol) so here's some pics of all my fuel-line related stuff plus that shut-off valve w/filter.
The one of the carb shows the brass fitting I screwed into it, thats as far as I got.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You don't need most of that stuff.

Not sure what you mean by the little stick filter. In your left hand pic of the shutoff valve, there's a screen sticking out where it threads into the tank. Is that what you mean?

Starting with what you have, I would do the following:

Unscrew whatever's in the bottom of the tank now.
Install in the bottom of the tank the shutoff valve in your left-most pic.
Cut a short piece of black rubber fuel line, maybe 2-3 inches, and a longer piece maybe 10 inches. Measure for your installation.
Put the short piece of line on the outlet of the shutoff valve. Clamp in place.
Put the other piece of line on the inlet of the carb. Clamp in place.
Put one of your inline filters in between, connecting the two pieces. Take note of which direction the filter wants fuel to flow through it. Clamp in place.

Put fuel in, turn on valve, crank her up, and go!

#3 ·
Yes that little filter is what I meant by 'stick filter or 'screen' ( shoulda have said screen, makes more sense) but all of that is exactly what I set out to do until I saw the shut-off valve w/screen because it was my understanding it was a in-line valve then I removed the small cardboard sleeve to protect the screen and was like whaaat? I thought under that sleeve was gonna be a stab fitting. But I got so much crap its easy to get messed up. Im trying to start me a little shop of an affair and have a small cast iron wood burner in the back of my van I picked up yesterday and want to see about getting one of thise pre-made buildings so I can work on things in the bad weather wich is why when I need one thing I buy 8 or 10 of them as you can see by the filters for instance.
But I just aint crazy about taking off that tank valve because if Im not mistaken it has a small 1" x 1" rivited or tacked welded square on it but I will look at the pics I have because if it just threads off I will remove it but its sealed w/a cpl coats of paint and who knows what else. I would hate to have that valve buckle or like try to fold or something.
But what you described was what I'd planned on doing, I even have some eth-free gas for it.
Thanks much

#4 ·
You have an inline valve. It's the black plastic thing with the red handle sticking out. If you're more comfortable using that, do it.

To do that you'll need three pieces of fuel line; tank to valve, valve to filter, filter to carb.

#5 ·
Yea I have a better one than that black & red thing somewhere but it will do , but I need to check out my exit-tank valve that is on there because it might work fine and prolly does and I think it has the shut-off handle on it ( will check out) and if it is good I'll just filter it w/a in-line job.
I imagine I'll have to clean in-line filter out a cpl times figuring it will catch a bunch of tiny pieces of rust or flakes where it hasnt run in awhile wich can be expected I recon.
I did clean tank out a good bit but dont remember what I used to do it but it was pretty shiney when I was done w/it. It was roofing nails or something but I aint sure.
Thanks again

#6 ·
Here we go, a cpl pics of whats under there @ the tank valve.
I gotta hit the dinner table real quick but Im gonna expand pics and see if I can tell or see any reason I shouldnt try to remove that tank valve off of there, but like I said it doesnt leak as far as I know and I can leave it on and in-line the filtering.

Attachments

#7 ·
By looking at the pics that thing looks like it was made on there , nice and sealed and solid so I dont think I'd better mess with it especially with my luck on such things.
If I had to it would be a different story but I have enuf filters & fuel line and clamps to not have to.
Thanks for the replys

#8 ·
Gerrard,
I would not let a little thing like a gas line stop me from attempting to fire your machine up:). I would simply install the fuel line to the current fitting on your fuel tank (I'm with you on leaving that fitting in-place as you CERTAINLY do not want to create another problem with potential leakage). Then, install an in-line fuel filter and your new plastic shut off valve. Next, get some good fuel (non-ethanol if you can), check the oil level, and fire it up!

#9 ·
Thats exactly what Im doing there Buddy lol! I had to stop today because I had to go to the auto parts store and get a cpl head lamp bulbs ( best to replace by the pair ) and then I had to give someone a ride but I dont mind, heck I hadnt even touched in since winter came.
I did realize that I dont even have a throttle cable hooked to the carb yet ! Would hate to get it started then have it revving like a 500 cc Kawasaki on the starting line because that could be an issue there as a rule of thumb is to " never over-rev a cold motor".
Having said that yesterday I did take a 1/2 drive rachett and a 7/16 or 15/16 whatever it was to the big nut on bottom pulley and the mag snaps and all.
So for what its worth heres where I stopped today, had to take hair dryer out there to soften up the new fuel line as it was just like 40 degrees. Here is a pretty dumb one as is par for the course for me but the arrow on filter does point towards the carb right? If so thats how I have it.
P.S. Good hearing from ya Bud.

But also in pics is the inside of tank where that fitting base ( or whatever) is in the tank, looks like it was made to stay there, looks like potential trouble.
I need to get a few more clamps.
The last three pics are some before and after's. Quite the diff.

Attachments

#10 ·
I got all the crap on fuel line installed before I had to go get my truck that was hit by a church van when I was in here sleeping a cpl weeks ago, looks great and Im actually glad it happened in a strange kinda way.
The hose/fuel line was pretty hard because of the cold and being coiled-up so I had to take a hair dryer and soften the stuff up, but it worked.
Next time I gotta get my throttle cable hooked up on it B4 starting it up.
I dont like the plastic shut-off valve I have on it and will get a diff one in spring. Its strange and I suspect it has a filter or somtin in it because I can blow thru it but cant see thru it so I stuck a small something in it and it stopped in it, didnt wanna hurt whatever it was in it so I left it alone.
I dont care for all of the splices in the like so I'll change that stuff 'somehow' in the spring.

Attachments

#11 ·
I know Im pretty much talking to myself so Im not gonna bother with it much anymore anyway , just dont feel the 'spark' in it anymore. Might be the weather who knows.
Everything seems to be twice as hard as it should be. Tried today to get new throttle cable on and my stock one is pretty torn up and the new one I ordered opposite of old one the control knob or lever hooks up on the outside of the handlebar where the stock one falls on the inside if H-Bar. Awkward as heck and I have to get some bolts to put it on wich I have to ise some kind of spacer on it because the new throttle control presses flat against handlebar and that aint gonna work.
At witts end with the whole thing. Im gonna try to put the old white plastic thumb control assembly back together and hopefully use the new cable thats on new one. I hope anyway.
But like Ive always heard "you can hope in one hand and *&^% in the other and see wich one fills up first " lol!

#12 ·
Yes, after a long struggle it can get a little depressing. On mine, I would short cut a few things to get it running and then work on it later when my attitude got better, but I understand that you may not have that luxury. That reminds me that I have to look at my fan bearings before spring gets here. They were squealing pretty badly the last time I ran it!

Good Luck!

#13 ·
Thanks for the encouraging words Greg. I have come to far and spent way to much to hang it up now Im sure, I was a little bummed because I had waited on my tax refund and was actually wondering if sumtin was wrong but it finally came after exactly one month, thing is I paid extra for it to get here in a week now Im gonna put a few hundo's back for another one when I go on the hound for one this spring.
And the weather is driving me crazy to, one day I can do something with it and the next I cant and work schedule keeps changing and all as well to the point I may just have to wait till spring to do something to it.
Cant really complain about the weather this year because at least its not ice and snow but its the dang rain, rain rain and some more RAIN! LOL! I dont think my yard will ever dry out!
And you know what it does here all spring and early summer ......RAIN! Ayyyeeeee! lol.
Thanks again, I needed a shot in the arm.

#14 ·
I had a buddy just tell me that he's looking to get rid of one. I'm going to go get it and see what exactly he has. I'm not interested in keeping it so I'll let you know what I find out about it in case you are interested.

Oh, and the rain has been bad but I burned a brush pile Saturday and ended up burning about 2-3 acres when the fire got out! It doesn't take long for dead grass and leaves to dry out this time of year!

#15 ·
Guess what, I picked one up today on way to work passin thru Milton where my son lives.
Check out new thread. Thanks for thinking about it tho.
Ya know its not snowy or iced up and its been kinda warm for winter but what it does to me is it 'almost' puts me in warm weather mode. Like this morning it wasnt bad but come afternoon its the cold rain and wind and temp drop. I just wish it would make up its mind lol!
Later and thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.