My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Throwing around the idea. I have a lead on a good running complete engine with all accessories and a radiator for $500 CAD. with the conquest being a vertical shaft tractor, and the diesel being horizontal shaft, I thought about using a right angle gearbox routed through the frame to run the transmission and mower deck. Thoughts?

·
2,479 Posts
I think that's asking for a lot of headaches... be neat to see though.
For a gearbox you could possibly use one off of a 'Bota RC series mower deck? Very tough.

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok,
we are ready for a challenge. the original engine needs to be replaced anyways. Anyone else got any suggestions for a gearbox? The engine is rated at 3600 rpm, most gearboxes I see for sale are only rated to 1800 rpm

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much power would be lost using multiple belts? I was thinking of using a jaw / lovejoy connection between the flywheel and input, and then using one belt to run the transmission, as well as having the electric pto clutch on the shaft to run implements. Does anyone know the rated speed of a shaft drive mower deck gearbox?

·
2,479 Posts

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thoughts, anyone?

·
Professional Homeowner
7,416 Posts
Something like this might work too, and cheaper than a 'Bota box: 40 HP Gearbox RW-300, Smooth 1-3/8" Input Shaft

Not sure if there's a max RPM, none listed for the above... maybe mine has a tag but it's put away right now.
Probably 540 -1,000 RPM rated, as it's for a rear PTO powered brush hog. some machines have a selectable rear PTO RPM, so I assume there's possibility it could be rated as such. Since the ratio isn't 1:1, pulley size adjustment could still be necessary.

I was thinking of this earlier today, and looked at my wheel horse. The engine is horizontal, shaft sticking out the side of the machine. There's a pulley set that mounts to the front of the machine in front of the axle at about a 45 degree compound angle. The PTO belt wraps around the front axle on that pulley set getting twisted about 1/2 way, then from the pulley set to the standard horizontal pulley mower deck. Can you do something like that rather than 90 degree gearbox?

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input,
yeah, we thought about doing that, as it is how the current blower is power from the vertical crankshaft of the engine to the horizontal input on the blower. The problem is, it would require the engine to be mounted horizontally instead of longitudally. (Not sure if I spelt that correctly... you get my point) the machine is not wide enough to accommodate for that.
thanks everyone,
keep the ideas coming!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
sunstar mower drives are direct from engine pulley to jackshaft pulley with driveshaft going to deck 90 degree box and the pulleys are close to same size so would run close to engine speed on them.---I never measured them for sure and not sure of box ratio.--I think it says somewhere . 60" deck has heavy box on them---compact/heavy and set up for 2 or 4 bolt mounting. I think they are Curtis brand boxes, so you may find the specs on the company page.

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like this?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Thats the animal, They are kind of universal fit set-up, mounting holes in different places, and oil level plugs in a couple different places. I could see that they were used in many different applications.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts