My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a BX-24 in 2007. Last year, with a month left on the warranty, I suffered a catastrophic failure of the engine. The Kubota mechanic stated he had never seen an engine come apart like that. There were no indications that there was a problem. Kubota refused to honor the warranty, stating that I must have run it out of oil. This contradicts the records the dealer has showing my purchases of oil and filters at appropriate intervals. I tried contacting Kubota but never got a response.

I paid the dealer over 1700 to rebuild the engine, it ran great for the 20 or so hours I put on it. I then parked it for a year while I visited the lovely country of Afghanistan. Upon my return, I again serviced it and with 35 additional hours, the engine has blown again. And I still can't get Kubota to return my emails or calls. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My wife isn't too happy with the very expensive lawn ornament.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Boy it sounds like you need to get a lawyer!!! If Kubota won't deal with you, it may be your only alternative. Not knowing the laws for tractors, there is a lemon law that exists, but it normally deals with the first year of ownership. I take it you bought it new, have you talked with the dealership?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer has been extremely helpful, I think they were shocked that Kubota refused the warranty. I wonder if Kubota reads these threads because they finally decided to return my call after a week.

Customer support stated that I need to return it to the dealer and if the dealer needs assistance, he can contact the service rep.

I talked to the dealer, he states that they will need to tear it down, and if the same parts failed, they will send a message to Kubota, who will send out a service rep to investigate. The dealer agreed to allow me to have my own mechanic there during the tear down to inspect it.

I will arrange transportation for tomorrow, but it doesn't look like I'll have the tractor for fall chores. At least I won't have a dead tractor littering my yard!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Well it does sound like things are turning around. Keep people posted here, I am sure they'll want to know how things turn out for you.

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
I purchased a BX-24 in 2007. Last year, with a month left on the warranty, I suffered a catastrophic failure of the engine. The Kubota mechanic stated he had never seen an engine come apart like that. There were no indications that there was a problem. Kubota refused to honor the warranty, stating that I must have run it out of oil. This contradicts the records the dealer has showing my purchases of oil and filters at appropriate intervals. I tried contacting Kubota but never got a response.

I paid the dealer over 1700 to rebuild the engine, it ran great for the 20 or so hours I put on it. I then parked it for a year while I visited the lovely country of Afghanistan. Upon my return, I again serviced it and with 35 additional hours, the engine has blown again. And I still can't get Kubota to return my emails or calls. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My wife isn't too happy with the very expensive lawn ornament.
What tasks were you performing in those 35 hours BEFORE it died AGAIN???...:fing20:

·
MTF spunky member :)
187 Posts
Glad Kubota is now talking to you. It sounds like a lemon. We had a 2007 JX1100U and the transmission blew out for no apparent reason. The dealer didn't know what was wrong with it so they had a factory rep come out and he said "The transmission was not assembled right.:banghead3".

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
To be specific, what kind of failure did the engine suffer? These engines are way overbuilt and typically don't give up easily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts