My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can crank and run the mower without issue. I have bypassed the seat switch. I can drive the mower anywhere, I can even engage the blades. But once I engage the blades, within 20 to 30 seconds of mowing, the engine dies. I can crank immediately, with backfire, and cut another 15 seconds or so, then same thing, the mower dies. So it's not the engaging of the blade that kills it, it's only after I've cut a half-strip across my yard. Is there a sensor or cable causing the issue?? I'm at a loss at this point. Mower hasn't run in more than 8 years, so I just cleaned and replaced all gaskets/ filter/ pump. Any help/ suggestion is much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
44,921 Posts
Welcome to MTF! Lots of info here and great members to help and share with, enjoy the site. Doesn't sound like a safety, those will kill it in a few seconds. My guess would be a fuel shutoff solenoid acting up. I'm not a Kubota guru but if there is a wire going to the carb bowl that would be the shutoff solenoid. It might be a loose/dirty connection so inspect that and get back to us.

Here is some site navigation assistance in case you need it:

Font Technology Parallel Slope Screenshot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is gas. I need to look back and see if there is anything leading to the carburetor. I did find a second cable that comes off the lever that engages the blade. It runs up to the dash and attaches to the throttle lever. Well it would, but the cable is broken. Haven't seen this setup before, but that may be my problem. If so I'll post back. Thanks

·
Registered
444 Posts
It is gas. I need to look back and see if there is anything leading to the carburetor. I did find a second cable that comes off the lever that engages the blade. It runs up to the dash and attaches to the throttle lever. Well it would, but the cable is broken. Haven't seen this setup before, but that may be my problem. If so I'll post back. Thanks
Yeah sorry, I have nothing. Maybe some photos and video of the offending issues?

·
Registered
444 Posts
i see the words "Auto Throttle" on the side. I wonder if it's something to do with that? Though not sure what Auto Throttle refers to. Some kind of "super governor"? Or perhaps an automatic ground speed control?

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
16,636 Posts
Sounds like Auto Throttle is not really a throttle. Nowadays I believe they call them treadles.

·
16,636 Posts
I just read that Auto Throttle raises the throttle from idle when you step on the pedal.

·
16,636 Posts
When Auto Throttle is activated and you take your foot off the pedal do the blades stop turning, or slow down considerably? That might be what the cable is for.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I had a T1560 years ago and to the best of my poor memory if you pushed the blade lever to engage the blades the motor would speed up. I don't remember how all of that worked but I think your problem is in the auto throttle mechanism. Don't have any idea as to a fix but I would be looking more closely at that feature. The T1560 is a good mower and did a very good job of cutting grass comfortably.

Reactions: APinNY

·
16,636 Posts
Does it stall as soon as you rev it up while the blades are engaged, or does it run for a minute or more. I'm wondering if it could be starving for fuel under those conditions.

·
16,636 Posts
It won't hurt to make sure the gas cap vent is completely clear. The engine draws more gas when the blades are engaged. If the vent is partially blocked it could be enough to kill the engine. it's a long shot but worth a look.

Reactions: rickm1070

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
10,095 Posts
That's pretty quick (30-60 seconds) for the vacuum in the tank to cause a problem. I would check the fuel filter, if it's partially plugged, then it may be able to supply enough fuel to keep the engine running at no-load, but then once the load of the blades is applied, the engine can't get enough fuel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts