1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a problem. I think we are all getting used to the features and software on this board. :00000057:

I like the RTV900 a lot. Seems like the best design I have seen so far but I think is it underpowered and Kubota is still working a few bugs out. It is still way beyond my price range anyways. I will most likely end up with a Honda 4Trax that has been in storage for the past 12 years at the family farm. Probably all I really need for now. If it turns out I find myself needing a larger and more powerful ATV, I may take another look. I would like to see the RTV900 evolve into maybe an RTV1100 or about 30 to 35 hp.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
The RTV900 is not underpowered, it demands a lesson or two due to it's duel functioning Hydro transmission that the owner relearn their normal driving techniques!!

Yes I own one and deal with this misconception often!!!

Once the Owner is shown the proper technique the perceived problem disappeared and the frowns turn to smiles!!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Most owners suggest that its underpowered but functional, 21 hp really is not alot for the weight it carries. Plus you dont have to own one to determine that...

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
ducati996 said:
Most owners suggest that its underpowered but functional, 21 hp really is not alot for the weight it carries. Plus you dont have to own one to determine that...
"Most Owners" Please provide a reference for that statement other than the 2 or 3 disgruntled folks that flood all RTV/ATV sites! Out of literaly thousands of satisified owners! Which belies the reports that the Kubota has the fastest growing share of the RTV market!!

BTW nice to see you again? It might help your perspective if you at least drove one and I'll agree with you that "YOU DO NOT HAVE TO OWN ONE"

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Just looked at some of the same sites you recently were on. I can weed through the disgruntled postings and listen to those who have given solid advice on what they own or have own through out the years. I have no reason to second guess their judgments or unbiased comments. I'm not in the market for one, so there is no need for me to kick the tires. The majority rave about the unit, and those that dont I have no doubt tend to treat it as a ATV which has considerably more power to weight ratio then the UTV...
Its a nice unit and will serves those well who want or have one....

:beatdeadh

Ducati

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Archdean said:
The RTV900 is not underpowered, it demands a lesson or two due to it's duel functioning Hydro transmission that the owner relearn their normal driving techniques!!

Yes I own one and deal with this misconception often!!!

Once the Owner is shown the proper technique the perceived problem disappeared and the frowns turn to smiles!!

Your contention that the RTV900 is not underpowered is your opinion. There is not much complication with respect to the operation of a hydrostatic drive. The fact that a "proper technique" must be utilized to obtain an acceptable performance indicates a lacking in design and or power. I would not be surprised to see Kubota come out with an RTV 1100 in the near future.

Kubota already manufactures the 1105-T-E which is pretty much of the same dimensions of the current 905.

http://www.kubotaengine.com/drawings/d1105-t.htm

With 31.5 hp, this engine would eliminate any question of power and also address an application in high altitude envronments being that this engine is turbo charged.

http://www.kubotaengine.com/curves/D1105-T-E.htm

Once an owner is introduced to this model if and when it appears, I doubt many RTV900's will sell.

·
Crazy about Green and Red
65 Posts
What is your thoughts on a Polaris Ranger 4x4 or 6x6 compared to the Kubota rtv900? I am thinking about getting one but can't really make up my mind. I like the aspect that the Kubota is diesel. But that could lead to more expensive mantience in the long run.

·
Member Extraordinaire - Deceased March 2017
3,101 Posts
I believe Kawasaki has a diesel now too.

Durwood

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still think my preference would be for the Kubota RTV900. The diesel and hydrostatic drive & gear drive train a BIG plus in my book. I recently went to look at some land property for possible purchase and the real estate agent had a Polaris 800 4 x 4 to ride us around on. I am sure this machine must have had an awesome top end and speed but with my 250 lbs. and the real estate agent on; this machine had NO bottom end power. It had the belt drive. I finally got off and walked because I could get there faster and I was afraid the real estate agent would burn up something in the drive train from the way the machine sounded like it was straining to move. It gave all the power to you at once or it just seemed to bog down. Could have been that the agent did not know how to drive it but it sure made an impression on me. I prefer to stay with the gear and shaft drive type machines.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just joined but if I may throw out my thoughts.

After reading through the thread, at one time I was probably one of those that considered the RTV to be under-powered.
€hieƒ™ said:
There is not much complication with respect to the operation of a hydrostatic drive.
The complication I encountered is that the RTV was my first machine with HST and honestly, I was driving it wrong.
€hieƒ™ said:
The fact that a "proper technique" must be utilized to obtain an acceptable performance indicates a lacking in design and or power.
My approach to heavy loads or steep hills was to "floor it". Once I figured out that mashing the pedal is the inappropriate approach to providing power to the wheels, the RTV became a whole new machine with loads of power. If you back off the pedal to approx. 50%, a secondary pump kicks in that provides more power but at a reduction of speed.

Now... If I can get a bigger engine in there, I'm all for it.

Brian

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Originally Posted by Archdean
The RTV900 is not underpowered, it demands a lesson or two due to it's duel functioning Hydro transmission that the owner relearn their normal driving techniques!!"

An owners words "Once I figured out that mashing the pedal is the inappropriate approach to providing power to the wheels, the RTV became a whole new machine with loads of power. If you back off the pedal to approx. 50%, a secondary pump kicks in that provides more power but at a reduction of speed."

Brian, Thank you for the Reaffirmation!!
Nice to have you here!
Dean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just spoke with my dealer, and he confirmed the RTV1100 is a GO! The show is this coming week. No word yet if it will be turbo-charged, but this would be SWEET. Sure glad I held off on purchasing!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got to see a RTV1100 brochure this past weekend. Sorry, no turbo, but the enclosed cab looks great. Removable doors. The heat and A/C is delivered via ducts in a redesigned dash. Several other nice touches are added such as under-seat storage. The dealer says "around $17K." :eek:mg: Sure wish I could touch and feel one!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts