My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new Kubota in July of 2005. It is an L3430 HST. It came with a front loader and rear mower deck. As of this writing it has 260 hours on it.

The Kubota has only been used for light duty... I have a small, 7 acre, horse pasture that I mow twice a year.... and every three to four days I transport a load of manure from the barn to the manure pile [about five hundred feet]. On three or four occasions I have pushed snow from my driveway.... maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of a mile.

I have kept up with the regular maintenance.

This past fall one of the cylinders on the loader went bad and I had both replaced.

A short time later I noticed a small trail of fluid had leaked from the tractor on a return trip to the manure pile... the trails was about 100 feet.... My serviceman came and checked and found a hose had come off from its connection to the hydraulic fluid cooler on the left side. He reattached it and added fluid.

A couple months later this same hose again came off but this time the leak was heavy with the fluid gushing out. I estimate that several gallons were lost in less than a minute.... this time on checking what happened there were
about 2 -3 dozen pieces of steel fragments about the size of your finger nail... on further inspection there were some very small filings resembling brass found.

I took the tractor back to the dealer and they checked the filters and advised me that it appears the transmission is shot..... I am being told the transmission will be $6-7,000.00 and labor will be $2,0000 ....

I am being told that Kubota will provide the transmission at no cost but the labor is my responsibility.....

I have been told they will only warrant the new transmission for 90 days.

Owing to the fact that this tractor operates on a single hydraulic system... I am concerned that there may be other areas of damage [like the cylinders??]
When I asked the dealer about this I was told they will do the work as set forth by Kubota's directions... anything else is my choice and my responsibility.....

I just believe this is a massive failure of a product that should provide years and years of solid dependable service.... I bought this believing Kubota = Quality ...

I believe this is an issue that Kubota .... not the Dealer... should be responsible for... c'mon- a properly maintained $26,000.00 tractor needing a new transmission after 260 hours???

C'mon Kubota.... greatness lies not so much in how well you make something ... but how well you stand by your customer after the sale .... just ask Dell...

Any thoughts, advice will be appreciated

Thanks for your time...

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Welcome aboard gehdi. Sorry to hear of your L3430's HST troubles.
Over the yrs, I've read of very few Kubota HST failures. When one considers how many models, uses and varying maintenance pracrices on HST tractors, it's amazing of the lack of reports of more failures. There just haven't been that many. The ones that have been posted about here and elsewhere on tractor related forums have all been due to the HST running low to dry of hydraulic fluid. IIRC correctly, those that have posted about their HST fialure and subsequent repair which was either a complete HST rebuild or replacement, never had any other omponents replaced such as valves, cylinders, lines etc., only the HST and fluid were repaired/replaced.
What exact line was it? There have been some reports of a large low pressure return line that would develope cracks and allow air to enter the hydro system and slow leaks, but it wouldn't gush fluid out as you explained.
I absolutely can see your disapointment, especailly when considering how low the hrs and usage was.
On one hand it seems that the dealer and Kubota are stepping up for you in that they are providing a new HST but, if it was the exact same line that failed after the dealer had repaired it previously, which caused this catastrophic failure, then I would also think they should cover the labor also. What is their argument on not covering the labor? That the tractor was out of warranty?
Good luck w/the repair.
Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a new Kubota in July of 2005. It is an L3430 HST. It came with a front loader and rear mower deck. As of this writing it has 260 hours on it.

The Kubota has only been used for light duty... I have a small, 7 acre, horse pasture that I mow twice a year.... and every three to four days I transport a load of manure from the barn to the manure pile [about five hundred feet]. On three or four occasions I have pushed snow from my driveway.... maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of a mile.

This past fall one of the cylinders on the loader went bad and I had both replaced.

A short time later I noticed a small trail of fluid had leaked from the tractor on a return trip to the manure pile... the trails was about 100 feet.... My serviceman came and checked and found a hose had come off from its connection to the hydraulic fluid cooler on the left side. He reattached it and added fluid.

A couple months later this same hose again came off but this time the leak was heavy with the fluid gushing out. I estimate that several gallons were lost in less than a minute.... this time on checking what happened there were
about 2 -3 dozen pieces of steel fragments about the size of your finger nail... on further inspection there were some very small filings resembling brass found.

I took the tractor back to the dealer and they checked the filters and advised me that it appears the transmission is shot..... I am being told the transmission will be $6-7,000.00 and labor will be $2,0000 ....

I am being told that Kubota will provide the transmission at no cost but the labor is my responsibility.....

Owing to the fact that this tractor operates on a single hydraulic system... I am concerned that there may be other areas of damage [like the cylinders??]
When I asked the dealer about this I was told they will do the work as set forth by Kubota's directions... anything else is my choice and my responsibility.....

I just believe this is a massive failure of a product that should provide years and years of solid dependable service.... I bought this believing Kubota = Quality ...

I believe this is an issue that Kubota .... not the Dealer... should be responsible for... c'mon- a properly maintained $26,000.00 tractor needing a new transmission after 260 hours???

C'mon Kubota.... greatness lies not so much in how well you make something ... but how well you stand by your customer after the sale .... just ask Dell...

Thanks for your time...
My L3130 just failed in the exact same way. It has 1100 hrs on it. What makes it worse is that the dealer had to split the tractor to tell me this...
Now I have a tractor in 2 pieces with a huge bill just to get it back so I can use some of the parts on my next tractor, and part out the rst of it to try to recoup some of my losses.
Nobody told me it was a throwaway piece of junk when I bought it. The guys at the dealership have been real dicks about the whole thing. They aren't inclined to give me any kind of a break on the replacement I now need to buy.
Best advice so far is stay away from MB Tractor Inc.
That's my $.02.

·
tractor buff
80 Posts
...I bought a new L3130 GST in 03----tractor has been flawless and runs excellent---still have it---thanks for the foam filled tires no more flats----my $02

·
Professional Homeowner
7,174 Posts

Thanks for your time...
I know this thread is long dead, but I’ll throw in my .02 as well.

That sucks that it failed after so few service hours... no getting around that. HOWEVER, it says a lot for Kubota that they covered ANY of the repairs after 6 years of ownership...

True, it isn’t many hours prior to failure, but the warranty is only what... like 2 or 3 years at best?

It’d be nice if the OP would sign on again & fix us up with some closure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts