My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I used to own a L-185 with a 5' FEL on it. It had 3F-1R dual range transmission and a 3 range rear PTO. It would idle so slowly you could almost count the individual exhaust pulses, but never stalled or otherwise had trouble. Below about 40F it refused to start until you lit the glows for 20 seconds, but once it was started it didn't mind the cold. The one real issue I had was the shifter was worn out. Both the forks & the ball on the inside end of the shift lever were severely worn , allowing you to shift off to reverse from 1st without hitting neutral. This would leave the transmission jammed in first and required R&R of the shifter plate to set straight. I kept a wrench with the tractor and could fix it in the field in a few minutes, but quickly learned to make certain the 1st/2nd fork locked into its detent before going to reverse! Aside from that it was pretty good for a 2WD with no power steering. I'd estimate it could lift 800-1000lb in the FEL, although that was really pushing it's limits. Never had anything heavier than a 42" tiller on the rear, so I can't speak for the lifting capacity out back.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.