My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kubota GR 1110 mower: gasoline got put in the diesel tractor. Drained tank, replaced fuel filter, got going again. Wondering if the gasoline in the diesel has trashed my engine oil and I should replace the engine oil.

·
Premium Member
8,425 Posts
If the crankcase oil on the dipstick smells like gasoline then replace it. If you never actually tried to run the engine while the gasoline was in the tank, and it runs fine now, and there's no smell of gasoline, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I'll have to replace. The engine was run with the gas. I cannot determine if the oil has gas as everything stinks of gas now. Best to replace I think.
Thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
My neighbour did that to his Kubota four years ago.. He drained the tank, flushed the system best he could and changed the filter. The tractor is still performing well.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Better safe than sorry and if it gives peace of mind I'd change oil, although it's probably fine.
Fifty years ago I worked at a service station. Three grades of gas, diesel, kerosene, home heating oil and we used varsol for cleaning. If we ran low on something the boss would send me out in tank truck to a local place to get it. So nothing was 100% pure.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
be happy;
My old neighbor filled his tank with water and then ran the engine until it stopped.
I fixed the tractor for him, but I'm sorry to report the source of the problem was actually that the old man had had a stroke.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Since a diesel is fuel injected, gasoline in the tank should not have made it to the oil.
If you ran the engine with gas in the fuel, the gas would have burned in the cylinder, not go to the oil pan.

Back in the 70's during the winter it was a fairly common practice to mix up to about 15% gasoline with the diesel to prevent gelling fuel. The old mechanical diesels had no problems from the gasoline.
It was add some kerosene, gasoline or be suck somewhere with gelled fuel.
Back in those days anti gell fuel treatments were not everywhere like they are today.
My 1960 Autocar only had 1,057,000 miles on it when I sold it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My last truck was a Freightliner with two 200 gallon fuel tanks.
15% gasoline is 30 gallons in each tank.

The older diesels, gasoline is not as much of a problem as everyone makes it out to be.
Today's modern computer controlled, HEUI injected, DPF filtered and catalytic converter equipped diesels are a little different story. But I don't think Kubota is into all that yet.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Smaller amounts of diesel created problems in gasoline engine. Even in old carburetor engines 5 % causes rough running, smoke and loss of power. No idea how it would be in fuel injected engines not to mention catalytic converters.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Pouring a small amount down the carburetor throat at high idle sure cleans out the carbon! Gasoline in a diesel engine will soon cause problems that will soon be obvious.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts